Re: MT VOID, 03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318

Sujet : Re: MT VOID, 03/08/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 36, Whole Number 2318
De : djheydt (at) *nospam* kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 10. Mar 2024, 21:59:44
In article <uskk3o$31f22$1@dont-email.me>,
Evelyn C. Leeper <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:
My major complaint with the dramatizations is that the
scriptwriter has decided to use Western-style nicknames: "Alex" for
Alexander, "Ptol" for Ptolomy, and so on.  I just don't believe
that anyone called Ptolomy "Ptol".

[Hal Heydt]
My father who had been there when sailing on commerical ships and
possibly when he was in the Navy, usually referred to Aledandria,
Egypt as "Alex".

We know that he was there because after the older of my two
sisters died, in the accumulated papers we fund a document
permitting him shore leave there from a ship on wheich he was
part of the crew.  One half is signed by the ship's captain and
is in English.  The other half was signed by the local Chief of
Police and written in Arabic.