Re: Babel

Sujet : Re: Babel
De : kludge (at) *nospam* panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.written rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 13. Mar 2024, 00:43:22
jerryfriedman <jerry.friedman99@gmail.com> wrote:
I thought it was good but not great.  The story and characters were engaging,
and the magic system was original.  One problem was that criticizing 19th-
century colonialism and especially the Opium Wars seemed too easy and
out of date.  And nothing was said about China's conquests or suppression
of dissent.

Those problems were EXACTLY why I was surprised it didn't get a nomination.
Because those problems are very much advantages for promoting the book in
China.  That's what I found so boggleworthy.

A minor criticism is that, after Kuang makes a big deal about researching
Oxford slang of the 1830s, she gives her characters a lot of 20th- and
21st-century dialogue, which I found jarring.

I didn't find it that jarring because I am living in the middle of it, but
I agree that it won't age well.

I disagree with your spoiler, though.
--scott