Re: Vernor Vinge (1944 - 2024)

Sujet : Re: Vernor Vinge (1944 - 2024)
De : kjrobinson (at) *nospam* mail.com (Kevrob)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 22. Mar 2024, 07:14:00
On 2024-03-22, Ted Nolan <tednolan> <ted@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
In article <uticjg$2ffb5$3@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire  <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/21/2024 8:24 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
SF author Vernor Vinge (1944 - 2024) is reported to have died, age 79.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/03/vernor-vinge-father-of-the-tech-singularity-has-died-at-age-79/

RIP.  I always thought his "Peace War" novels were his best works.  And
his "Rainbows End" book was neat.

Lynn

I always remember encountering him first with a story about a mission on a
floating world to save an SF magazine's archives (but there's more going
on than the protag understands)..  I really liked that.

I liked the bobble stories well enough, but wasn't really motivated
to seek him out.
 Both _A Fire Upon the Deep_ and _A Deepness in the Sky_ are in my list of
absolute top Favorites.  The novella _True Names_ is another Favorite, having
a large impact when I first read it (it was the first real introduction
of cyberspace.)  All three of these fell into a rare category for me: books
that upon finishing my first reading demanded an immediate re-read.
I also thought those were great.
Mike Glyer's site has an appreciation.
https://file770.com/vernor-vinge-1944-2024/
--