Re: Shocking discovery

Sujet : Re: Shocking discovery
De : kfl (at) *nospam* KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 03. Apr 2024, 03:05:45
Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
Two points, one, it was already known that William the Bastard's,
aka the Conqueror, parents weren't married (at least to each other).

Yes, that was the point of my joke -- that something that's been known
for nearly a thousand years was being presented as a shocking new
discovery.

Another part of my joke is based on the fact that probably everyone
now living who has any Anglo-Saxon ancestry is a direct descendant of
his.  So the likelihood that anyone now living who is descended from
Alfred the Great isn't also descended from William is pretty much zero.

And, two, it doesn't matter whether he had a legitimate claim to
the throne, as, since he took the throne by force of arms, the
line starts with him.

He actually did have a pretty good claim.  He didn't just randomly
march into England and say that it was his now.  Unfortunately, two
others also had pretty good claims, which is why there was a war.

That's what scares me about those who say that the 2020 election was
stolen.  Who is president (or king) is usually much less important
than that everyone agrees on who that is.  The worst case for 2024 is
if half the US population, including half the military, believe that
one guy won and the other half are equally sure that the other guy
won.  Civil wars seldom end well.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/