Re: Arrest made in bomb threat against con hotel

Sujet : Re: Arrest made in bomb threat against con hotel
De : kfl (at) *nospam* KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 12. Apr 2024, 16:03:44
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
Then maybe someone who was banned spread the litter-box stories to
gullible audiences in retaliation?

The litter boxes for my cats have always been gender-free.

Coincidentally, in today's news, I read of a woman in DC being shot
while emptying her cat's litter box:

https://wtop.com/dc/2024/04/she-was-emptying-her-cats-litter-box-when-a-stranger-walked-up-and-shot-her-was-it-a-case-of-mistaken-identity/

As I recall, it turned out some classrooms in the Jefferson County
Public School District in Colorado do or did have litter boxes but
not for the reason the alt-right claimed.  It was so that during
routine school mass shootings, kids waiting their turn to be
murdered would have somewhere to relieve themselves without
spoiling the game by making a run for the bathroom.

As for "routine school mass shootings," the average American school
goes several thousand years between such shootings.  More school-aged
children drown in bathtubs than are killed in such shootings, but we
don't hear demands that adult possession of a bathtub be made a felony.

More school-aged children are killed by cops than by school mass
shootings, but kids don't have cop drills in which they're trained on
how to behave if they ever encounter a cop, to reduce their risk of
being killed or falsely convicted of a crime.  I could have benefited
from such a drill, as I had no idea that cops lie.

Lots of people who are shot by cops while trying to follow their
directions could have benefited from such a drill.  If cops are
pointing a gun at you, *freeze*, and do not move even if they order
you to.  That may increase your risk of a beating, tasing, or
resisting-arrest charge, but it will decrease the odds of your being
shot dead, since a trigger-happy cop may not notice that you're
following the orders of another cop.

The recent Crumbley verdicts and sentences, holding parents guilty
if their kid shoots up a school, will go a long way toward ensuring
that parents never again trust their children.  For every odd kid who
shoots up a school, there are a million odd kids who are perfectly
harmless, and whose childhoods will now be ruined by daily parental
interrogations and strip searches.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/