Re: Doctor Who "The Sun Makers" November and December 1977

Sujet : Re: Doctor Who "The Sun Makers" November and December 1977
De : pursent100 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (%)
Groupes : rec.arts.drwho uk.media.tv.sf.drwho rec.arts.sf.tv rec.arts.tv rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date : 04. Jun 2024, 21:42:18
Adam H. Kerman wrote:
I don't subscribe to any streaming services and haven't seen Doctor Who
since Disney+ took over distribution. I may not be missing much, I know.
 I obtained DVDs from the library, starting with one of my favorite
episodes, "The Sun Makers". This episode made quite the impression on
me as a child. It's farewell to Leela's original costume, the leather
leotard. (The transition to the leather dress costume is in "Image of the
Fendahl", later in production but broadcast first. The dress is lighter
in color.) Louise Jameson was sexy as hell in the original costume --
all leg -- and the costumer was told to make her look even sexier in the
replacement costume. Which do you prefer?
 I've mentioned before that she corrupted my childhood, yes?
 Everything is right with this episode. A pissed off writer was dealing
with Inland Revenue. He was highly motivated to make the corrosive
effects of taxation a main part of the plot, and there are pointed
references to Inland Revenue throughout the episode. Because Tom Baker
and Louise Jameson were not getting along, they don't share too many
scenes. Leela gets to lead plenty of the action and makes several
rousing speeches. The actress has said this was her best episode, and I
think you might agree.
 The Fourth Doctor just works best in social satire; Baker's performance
is a delight.
 The decision has been made to keep K9 as a companion; the prop was
originally intended to be used for "The Invisible Enemy" only; K9 is
broken in "Image of the Fendahl" and has no lines. John Leeson is back
in the voice cast. There's nothing wrong with David Brierly's
performance in the 17th season; I just expect him to sound like Leeson.
 The main enemy, the Collector, is a Usurian, which is hysterical. Good
performance by Henry Woolf. Even more memorable are the henchmen Hade
(Richard Leech) and Marn (Jonina Scott), and the way the obsequious Hade
addresses the Collector.
 Some of the supporting characters are fully drawn and used effectively,
especially Cordo (Roy Macready). It's an early role for Michael Keating,
who was cast as Vila in Blake's 7 due to his performance in this
episode.
 Yeah, too much action takes place in very long corridors lacking set
decoration, but we will forgive that.

yay