Re: In Defense of Fred Freiberger

Sujet : Re: In Defense of Fred Freiberger
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.tv rec.arts.tv
Date : 07. May 2024, 05:14:53
On Tue, 07 May 2024 01:37:25 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

On May 6, 2024 at 6:27:29 PM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

 On Mon, 6 May 2024 14:46:02 -0700
 anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

 Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:
 Last week I created a video claiming that Fred Freiberger was
 responsible for the demise of such shows as "Star Trek", "Space
 1999", "The Six Million Dollar Man" and others, but was he?
We'll re-examine that today!

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqn_DJdZQGw

 Man was an incompetent menace.

 I recently saw a quote from Shatner where he defended Freiberger,
 saying he did the best he could with a severely reduced budget.

 Maybe Shatner wrote the IMDB article on Freiberger which says:

 ==========================================================> >>  Because of a planned European vacation, he then spurned an offer
by Gene Roddenberry to produce Star Trek (1966) from the onset.

I’ve never heard that before and I’d go far enough as to call it a
blatant lie

However,
 in 1968, he took up the option to produce the show in its final
season. By then, severe budgetary cuts (which resulted in many
'bottle show' episodes and lower quality scripts), the exodus of
top creative talent and the take-over of Desilu by Paramount

I’ll also call that a blatant lie. While it happened, it had
happened at the first season.

And weren't *all* the episodes of TOS "bottle show" episodes? I don't
remember there being any kind of multiple episode or season-long
story arcs.

There *was* one two-parter early in the first season, The Menagerie -
made up largely of scenes from the 1st pilot - which they made because
they were behind schedule and had to get caught up.

Season-long arcs weren't done by *anyone* in those days. That didn't
begin until the early 80s with St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues
(unless I've forgotten an earlier example).

--
Rhino