Re: In Defense of Fred Freiberger

Sujet : Re: In Defense of Fred Freiberger
De : dwilfong (at) *nospam* domesticfabrics.com
Groupes : rec.arts.tv rec.arts.sf.tv
Date : 21. Jun 2024, 20:17:52
In article <v1b4da$2mg70$3@dont-email.me>, weberm@polaris.net wrote:

Last week I created a video claiming that Fred Freiberger was responsible
for the demise of such shows as "Star Trek", "Space 1999", "The Six Million
Dollar Man" and others, but was he? We'll re-examine that today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqn_DJdZQGw

I disagree. Freiberger was a cut-rate producer/ writer / showrunner. Barry
Morse left Space: 1999 initially over a request to take a salary cut for the
second season. Morse did try to return and accept the pay cut, but other cast
members had since been included so it was too late. The entire tone of 1999
changed for the worse. The interior base set was cut by half its size from
season one. Freiberger was brought onto shows much cheaper than other
showrunners at that time. Basically, he was like Glen Larson over at
Universal. Cheap scripts, hack villains, pointless action scenes. Freiberger
also helped kill off Six Million Dollar Man in its last season. The common
theme among both series? The previous producers were either edged-out or quit
on both and both show budgets were cut.