Re: Doctor Who 73 yards review with spoilers

Sujet : Re: Doctor Who 73 yards review with spoilers
De : suzeeq (at) *nospam* imbris.com (suzeeq)
Groupes : rec.arts.sf.tv rec.arts.tv
Date : 27. May 2024, 06:39:30
On 5/25/2024 4:42 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
On 5/25/2024 11:56 AM, The Doctor wrote:
Doctor Who's latest episode weaves a tangled and intriguing narrative that
takes viewers from the rugged coast of Wales to the future political arenas
of Cardiff. As always, the Doctor (played with aplomb) finds himself
entangled in a complex web of time and mystery. This time, the web
is literal and symbolic, as our Time Lord protagonist lands in Wales
and Ruby steps into a nested conundrum that spans decades.

The adventure begins with a surreal touch, as the Doctor
  makes a cryptic reference to an ancient battle between land and sea.
  From there, we're introduced to Ruby, who quickly finds herself alone
  and disoriented without the Doctor, guided only by a mysterious
  black-robed figure. This setup immediately plunges the viewer
  into a sense of urgency and intrigue.

The plot thickens when a woman in a teal parka appears, brandishing
walking poles and confronting the black-robed figure. This confrontation
is charged with emotion and tension, setting the stage for a series
  of bewildering events. Ruby's journey takes her to a village inn,
  where she pays an exorbitant five pounds for a Coke, signaling her
  displacement in time and reality.

In a scene that's both eerie and suspenseful, Josh, a local, encounters
the black-robed woman, only to flee in terror. Ruby's actions somehow
break a mysterious circle, leaving viewers to ponder the significance
of this act. The night is punctuated by the ominous
knocking of a fisherman at the door, heightening the sense of foreboding.

Morning comes with no sign of the Doctor or the TARDIS,
 The TARDIS was there.  It never left.  But I'm not sure why Ruby couldn't get inside.  Has the Doctor still not given her a key or was it magically locked?
 leaving Ruby
to fend for herself. Her return to London is shadowed by the persistent
  black-robed figure, leading to a chase that's as psychological as it is
  physical. The narrative takes a dramatic turn when Ruby's mum flees,
  and Kate Lethbridge-Stewart of UNIT steps in to offer assistance.
  Despite their efforts, UNIT is forced to retreat from the enigmatic
  adversary, emphasising the formidable nature of this new foe.

The episode cleverly spans several timelines, with Ruby engaging
in an election campaign in 2046 for the Albion Party. The political
subplot adds depth, presenting a future where a war hawk Prime
Ministerial candidate stirs controversy.
Ruby, on her own will, takes photographs of the black-robed woman
at a victory celebration in Cardiff underscores the persistent
and haunting presence of this figure.
As the black-robed figure reveals something to the PM elect, the PM elect
suddenly resigns.

The climax of the episode is both poignant and revealing.
 I liked the climax, but I don't know how revealing it actually was. From my perspective it was left intentionally vague, but I am very interesting in different takes on the ending.
 I get that it was Ruby all along and there was a timeloop or branched timeline aspect to it all.  But it simply Ruby from the future doesn't explain all the super natural aspects of what was happening.  For me that part was left very much unexplained.  The circle being or not being broken really isn't an explanation for where the magic originated or why Unit was affected by it in spite of their precautions.  But I still thought it was a great episode.

In 2086, Ruby returns to Wales, now an elderly woman in a care home.
This poignant twist reveals the full circle of her journey,
a stark reminder of the passage of time and the inescapable nature
of her fate. Ruby dies and the blak-robed figure
is Ruby is the point of death.

The narrative then loops back to 2024,
where the Doctor and Ruby work together to unbreak the circle,
providing a satisfying and hopeful resolution to the episode's
complex temporal tapestry.

This episode of Doctor Who masterfully blends elements of mystery,
suspense, and political intrigue, anchored by strong
performances and a tightly woven plot. It's a testament
to the show's enduring ability to explore the depths
  of time and human experience, leaving viewers eagerly
  anticipating the next adventure in the TARDIS.
  5/10
  5 out of 10 seems a bit low for an episode you seemed to like.
But he didn't actually write it. He's using AI to write his reviews.