Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-14 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-14 (Sunday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 15. Apr 2024, 17:40:07
On 4/15/2024 7:22 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
On 4/15/2024 6:06 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

What did you watch?
 Gamer - Netflix disc rip (screencapping project)
AKA 'Crank 3'.  Made by the same pair that made the Jason Statham vehicles 'Crank' and 'Crank 2' it is much like those two with Gerald Butler instead.  Turn your brain off and let it come to a complete stop before watching to avoid damage.

I *want* to like this movie but it just rubs me the wrong way.  But it's one of those movies that I keep watching hoping that this time maybe it'll be good.
I watched:
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Starz) 1998 crime movie and Guy Ritchie's directorial debut.  This is also Jason Statham's film debut. The plot involves various criminal gangs who have overlapping crimes (Gang A robs Gang B who then gets robbed by Gang C type of deal).  The movie is a complete incomprehensible (and I mean that literally) mess. I saw it once when it first came out and didn't like it.  On second viewing I still found the movie to mostly be a mess.  I definitely get they were trying to be clever and basically do a British "Pulp Fiction" type of movie but the movie has issues.  That being said, I might have liked it a *little* more on this viewing mostly because the closed captions and ability to rewind back helped to make the plot slightly more understandable.
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (HBO) 2014 spy movie based on the TV show directed by Guy Ritchie.  Set in the 1960s Henry Cavill stars as a smooth talking Gentleman/con artist who works for the CIA and is assigned to rescue a kidnapped scientist's daughter (Alicia Vikander) from East Berlin.  Armie Hammer also stars as a Russian KGB agent who is assigned to stop him.  But soon the two are forced by their governments to team up and work together to stop a new rival group from developing a new type of nuclear bomb.  Hugh Grant also pops up as a British MI6 agent who runs to the two agents.  This was my first time watching it since seeing it in the theater.  I guess it was OK.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (4K disc) 2011 spy drama with an all star cast including Gary Oldman as a British spy in the 70s forced out after a mission goes horribly wrong, but he's later brought back to hunt down a mole inside the agency.  The movie holds up very well.
Operation Fortune: Ruse de Guerre (Starz) 2023 action comedy directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Jason Statham as a private contractor brought in by the British government (Cary Elwes plays his handler) to infiltrate a billionaire arms dealer (Hugh Grant).  To get in with the dealer Statham and his team blackmail a Hollywood actor (Josh Harshnet) who the dealer is a fan of into helping them go undercover as his entourage.  This wasn't very good.