Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-29 (Wednesday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-29 (Wednesday)
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 30. May 2024, 17:28:10
On 5/30/24 5:02 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

I watched:
 You didn’t ask, which is OK because I didn’t watch anything.
 [So, what did you watch?!]
I am mostly recovered from being sick (though am still kind of tired). Yesterday, I had to get through my last batch of exam grading (which, luckily, was a pretty small pile), and I did do that. I also submitted official grades for my second-to-last class. I am down to one single paper that I need to grade today, then once I am done with this final class, I am done for the year.
Yesterday, in between grading that last batch of exams, I finished catching up on soaps, and watched a couple of movies:
soaps:
    DOOL - Mon's thru Wed's ep's. Mostly, this was continued fallout of Eric returning Nicole's and "EJ's" baby storyline. Rafe and Eric discover that Sloan has skipped town (duh!), so I guess Sloan is officially written out. (I can't remember - Did Leo find out the baby was Eric's before the end?...) Meanwhile, Everett goes AWOL, though Marlena eventually runs across him, but he continues to to be resistant to therapy - so Marlena wants to stage an "intervention"!!... NuTheresa moves into the Kiriakis mansion, and Bonnie is, like, "You go, girl!" to the fellow gold-digger... Steve Burton is back (one more time?!) as Harris, as Harris, Ava and Lucas(!) head off to Montana to track down Clyde, and get a lead on the cute but EVOL!!! copette Goldman, and then Steve gives Ava another lead. But Ava still intends to "rub out" Clyde (I am guessing Harris will be killed in the crossfire?...).
    GH - Wed's ep. Are they setting up a "Who killed Ava?" storyline?! - Ava unnecessarily antagonizes Nina, who seems to relish sticking it to Ava (Maxie is concerned!). Then Ava gets into it with Josslyn about Dex's beating (dumb!). Later Alexis confronts Ava about Ava's role in Alexis' disbarment. Drew talks to dumb Willow about running for Congress (zzzzzz - and like a dumb b****, she doesn't try to talk him out of it!). Maxie realizes that Nina is starting to fall for Drew. Gregory's will is read. Finn apologizes to Lil' Lizzie for his drunken outburst at her.
I caught sucked into watching "Mad Max: Fury Road" (again) off one of the HBO's - it still looks pretty darn great even at 1080i.
    But I watched it muted (was listening to music), and that allowed me to sort of be annoyed by the storyline - Max and Furiosa are mortal enemies... no, now they're friends! And they're both mortal enemies of Nicholas Hoult's crazy follower character... until, suddenly Hoult's folds, and Riley Keough's in love with him!! WHAT?!!... Anyway, best not to think too hard about this one!
Conceived in Lies (streamed off the Lifetime app - it's good to know that the app has both recent Lifetime and LMN movies, making it a good resource for missed films in the future...).
    If you want to see a movie with a skinny Holly Deveaux being chronically frazzled and harried and crying, this film's for you!
    Luckily, it improves in the last 2/3, and becomes a decent thriller, if not a great mystery.
    Deveaux plays a hardscrabble widow, who (dumbly) gets herself in vitro'ed with what she thinks is her and her dead husband's embryo, and has the baby. Of course, she can't really afford any of this, as a single mom, and works for a bitchy, pitiless boss (Alana Hawley Purvis) who seems like she never had a mother, and has no conception of what motherhood entails!
    Anyway, of course, on top of all of this, Deveaux's baby gets sick, with some weird genetics-caused disease. After getting "help" from a reporter (Matthew James Dowden) and investigating a bit, they discover other in vitro babies from the same fertility clinic with the same disease, pointing in the direction of a common parentage (specifically, paternity) among them.
    From here, it's not hard to figure out the identity of the perp. But what was enjoyable about this is the lengths the EVOL!!1! fertility clinic (or whoever there is behind all of this!) is willing to go to keep this all under wraps!
    FTR, I don't like that Deveaux has gone blond. And I was amused that her character was supposed to be 37 (Deveaux herself is likely just around 30). But I enjoyed this for what it was.