Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-15 (Saturday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-15 (Saturday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 16. Jun 2024, 18:36:19
On 6/16/2024 7:55 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
Dogfights - Dogfights of Desert Storm (disc)
"High above the unforgiving desert, American F-15s faced off against the sophisticated Iraqi MiG-25s and MiG-29s, contributing to a quick and decisive American victory.  These battles involved some of the most cutting-edge technology in the history of air warfare."

I don't recall hearing about any dog fights during that war.  But I was only a preteen at the time and wasn't following the news super close.

 What Did You Watch?

I watched:
Justice League Dark (blu-ray) 2017 DC animated movie set in the DCAMU. This one was "R" rated.  The movie opens with various people starting to see "demons" and violently killing or trying to kill the "demons" in response.  This prompts the Justice League to respond and realize the people are hallucinating and the "demons" are just regular people.  The League theorizes it's magic related.  Batman at first scoffs at the idea but but he's possessed by "Deadman" (Nicholas Turturro) who sends him to Constantine (Matt Ryan from the live action series).  They began an investigation with a team that includes Zatanna, Etrigan the Demon and eventually Swamp Thing.  This one was really good.  I also noticed this one seem to have a better than usual score.  I don't normally notice the score in one of these movies, but this one stood out.
Inside Out 2 (theatrical) New Pixar movie and sequel to 2015's "Inside Out" which follows the emotions inside a young girl's head.  The first movie had the emotion "Joy" (Amy Poehler) bullying all the other emotions until she's forced to come to grips that "Sadness" (Phyllis Smith) is a valid and important emotion too.  This movie has the young girl hitting puberty and getting new emotions, "Anxiety," "Envy," "Ennui," and "Embarrassment."  Anxiety explains the girl needs more complex emotions than the original group and Anxiety's job is to plan for the future.  Joy isn't ready to give up control of the girl prompting Anxiety and the new emotions to bottle and discard the original group.  I really liked this movie. The thing I really like about Pixar movies is on the surface it might look like it's a kid movie, but they are very much also aimed at adults.  There was a line in the movie, "I don't know how to stop anxiety.  Maybe that's what happens when you grow up, you feel less joy." I think that line is going to hit a lot of people hard.