Re: Beware the brain-eating amoeba

Sujet : Re: Beware the brain-eating amoeba
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 15. Mar 2024, 02:52:36
Thu, 14 Mar 2024 02:03:53 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:

Not sure this makes for the basis of a '50s drive-in movie. Basically,
all you have to do is NOT irrigate your nostrils with tap water, to keep
the amoeba out of your sinuses and from getting into your brain.

https://apnews.com/article/neti-pots-tap-water-amoeba-aed6e6f9129d85146d396d71b8778812

I knew those sorts of amoebas were out there but thought the only risk
of catching them was if you inhaled water from ponds that contained
them. I had no idea they could also be found in treated water. Not
that I've ever used a neti pot but I do know people that have used
them and I assume they just used tap water to do so.

Not all processes for making tap water potable kill the amoebas. The
water must be boiled first. The article said it's ok to swallow them.
Uh, ok.