Re: Beware the brain-eating amoeba

Sujet : Re: Beware the brain-eating amoeba
De : never (at) *nospam* nothere.com (moviePig)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 16. Mar 2024, 17:14:57
On 3/16/2024 12:24 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:
On Mar 15, 2024 at 4:01:11 PM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim8rfsk@cox.net> wrote:

moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:
On 3/15/2024 1:55 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
On 3/15/2024 10:47 AM, moviePig wrote:
On 3/15/2024 12:41 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:
On 3/14/2024 11:55 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 02:03:53 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Not sure this makes for the basis of a '50s drive-in movie.
Basically,
all you have to do is NOT irrigate your nostrils with tap water,
to keep
the amoeba out of your sinuses and from getting into your brain.

https://apnews.com/article/neti-pots-tap-water-amoeba-aed6e6f9129d85146d396d71b8778812

I knew those sorts of amoebas were out there but thought the only
risk
of catching them was if you inhaled water from ponds that contained
them. I had no idea they could also be found in treated water. Not
that I've ever used a neti pot but I do know people that have used
them and I assume they just used tap water to do so.

Indeed, they do.

I've said this before but, it seems profoundly stupid to suppose that
the complex substance Nature has evolved to most effectively coat your
nasal passages can be improved upon by replacement with mere tap water.

It’s not tapwater. The things come with little saline packets, and
you make
your own saline solution. In fact, they generally have warnings not
to use
just plain water.

Okay, maybe that's different.  But such warnings aren't encouraging...

Such warnings are routine though usually the issue to be avoided by them
is infection.

The more paranoid (like me) might infer from them that there's normally
a delicate ecosystem up there ...so delicate that mere tap water's a
threat.  And mere table salt sounds like an awfully convenient panacea.

The first part seems reasonable. The business about not using regular
tapwater seems both silly and scary. I mean, what the hell happens when you
go swimming?

Sometimes you end up with an amoeba eating your brain. You occasionally hear
about some kid who died from it after swimming in a pond or a lake
somewhere.

Although, it's my understanding that when swimming, it's almost impossible to
get it unless you somehow force the water up into your nasal passages with
high pressure, like jumping off an embankment into a lake where the water
is
shoved up into your nose as you hit the surface. Normal swimming in a
lake or
a river that has these amoebas doesn't pose a risk.

 The various successors to the Netti pot require squeezing or motorized pump
action to force the water up in there, but the Netti pot just looks like a
little teapot and you bend your head back and pour it in. You would think
that’s comparable to swimming.
Well, for better or worse, the FDA says they can be safe...
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/rinsing-your-sinuses-neti-pots-safe