Re: TV news for March 9-16, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for March 9-16, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 17. Mar 2024, 01:01:18
On 3/16/24 2:50 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

     ABC news
  ‘Station 19’ Bosses Encourage Viewers To Watch & Tweet Season 7, Echoing Fan-Led Campaign To Save Show  (March 14)
[finger!]
It's terrible!!

     CBS news
  Detective Drama ‘Grace’ In The Works At CBS From DeVon Franklin As Producer Reups Overall Deal With CBS Studios  (March 15)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/detective-drama-grace-cbs-devon-franklin-renews-overall-deal-cbs-studios-1235859543/
 ["Grace follows a true-blue detective known for his brash, cynical style and a passionate, community-focused pastor who wears her heart on her sleeve reluctantly partner to solve complex crimes as they debate their divergent beliefs while attempting to ignore their growing chemistry."]
Zzzzzzzz...

‘NCIS: Origins’ Sets Mariel Molino To Join Austin Stowell In CBS Prequel Series  (March 15)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/ncis-origins-mariel-molino-austin-stowell-cbs-prequel-1235859580/
Pass!

Is CBS Daytime Poised For Shakeup? Soap ‘The Gates’ In Works Raises Questions For Future Of ‘The Talk’  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/cbs-new-soap-the-gates-the-talk-1235856210/
In other news, I really wish NBC would bring DOOL back from Peacock...

‘Ghosts’ Renewed For Season 4 At CBS  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/ghosts-renewed-season-4-cbs-1235856169/
Not surprising.

‘Fire Country’ Scores Season 3 Renewal At CBS  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/fire-country-season-3-renewal-cbs-1235856143/
[roll]

     CW news
  The CW, Roku, Stan & Jeff Wachtel Team For Comedic Procedural ‘Good Cop/Bad Cop’ Starring Leighton Meester  (March 11)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/stan-cw-roku-jeff-wachtel-good-cop-bad-cop-streamer-slate-australia-1235854386/
Did I beat Robin on this?!  O:)

     NBC news
  ‘Suits L.A.’: Bryan Greenberg Joins Stephen Amell In NBC Pilot  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/suits-l-a-bryan-greenberg-stephen-amell-nbc-pilot-1235859058/
I'm definitely interested in sampling this one.
But watch them put it at 10pm where I can probably never watch it!

     Cable channel news
  Charlotte Le Bon Joins ‘The White Lotus’ Season 3 In Recasting [HBO] (March 16)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/white-lotus-charlotte-le-bon-replaces-francesca-corney-season-3-recasting-1235860095/
Kind of too bad, as I was curious if Corney could pull it off... Guess we have our answer!

‘Snowpiercer’: AMC Picks Up [Final] Season 4 After TNT Scrapped Sci-Fi Drama  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/snowpiercer-amc-picks-up-season-4-1235858793/
 ["The first three seasons of the show will stream on AMC+ later this year and season 4 will air on the linear network and the streaming service in early 2025."]
YES! [fist pump]
Though it's a little annoying that they don't intend to air the first 3 seasons on AMC proper. (I wonder if they will change their minds on this...)
[And, yes - I acknowledge that Robin beat me on this one. [bow] )

‘Power Book II: Ghost’ To End With Season 4 [Starz]  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/power-book-ii-ghost-canceled-1235858542/
Amazing how many of these there are, and how long they all lasted!

‘Power’ Franchise Expanding Again With Ghost & Tommy Prequel Series In Development At Starz  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/power-franchise-ghost-tommy-prequel-series-starz-1235857262/
Oh, come on!!

‘Real Time With Bill Maher’ Renewed By HBO Through 2026  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/real-time-with-bill-maher-renewed-hbo-2026-1235857494/
Reddit commies gnash their teeth!!

     Streaming service news--Apple TV+
  Amanda Peet Joins ‘Your Friends And Neighbors’ Apple Series, Craig Gillespie To Direct  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/amanda-peet-your-friends-and-neighbors-apple-craig-gillespie-1235859029/
 ["Based on an original idea by [Warrior creator Jonathan] Tropper, Your Friends and Neighbors stars Hamm as Coop, a recently divorced hedge fund manager who, after being fired, resorts to stealing from the wealthy residents in his tony upstate New York suburb in order to keep his family’s lifestyle afloat. These petty crimes begin to reinvigorate him until he breaks into the wrong house at the wrong time."]
Theoretically interested (but practically won't have the time for it...).

Owen Wilson To Star In Golf Comedy Series For Apple From Jason Keller (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/owen-wilson-golf-comedy-series-apple-jason-keller-1235856390/
A definite "maybe".

     Streaming service news--Disney+
  ‘X-Men ’97’ Writer Beau DeMayo Exits Marvel/Disney+ Animated Series Just Ahead Of Premiere  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/x-men-97-beau-demayo-exits-marvel-disney-plus-animated-series-1235856406/
Yeah, Reddit was talking about this - definitely something screwy going on here...

     Streaming service news--Hulu
  ‘The Bear’ Quietly Renewed For Season 4 To Film Back To Back With Season 3 – The Dish [Hulu]  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-bear-renewed-season-4-film-back-to-back-season-3-1235858685/
Wow - a streaming series that doesn't take 2 years between seasons! What a shocking development!!1!

Zach Galifianakis Joins ‘Only Murders In The Building’ Season 4 As Recurring [Hulu]  (March 10)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/zach-galifianakis-cast-only-murders-in-the-building-season-4-recurring-1235852655/
Is Anim out anyway?!...

     Streaming service news--Max
  Stephen King’s ‘Salem’s Lot’ Pivots From Theatrical To Max Streaming 2024 Release  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/stephen-king-salems-lot-max-release-date-2024-1235856136/
Interesting - wonder why they had no faith in a theatrical release?...

Oscar Winner ‘The Boy And The Heron’ Bound For Max As Streamer Extends Licensing Agreement With Studio Ghibli  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-boy-and-the-heron-heading-to-max-following-extension-studio-ghibli-deal-1235856069/
Cool.
One day maybe I'll have time to sit down and watch these movies!!

Jennifer Holland Says ‘Peacemaker’ Season 2 Starts Filming This Summer [Max]  (March 9)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/jennifer-holland-peacemaker-season-2-filming-summer-1235851604/
YaY!!
(Though the whole "canon"/"non-canon" aspects of this series will make your head swim!)

     Streaming service news--Netflix
  Mary Lynn Rajskub, Jay Ryan & Braeden Clarke Among Cast Joining Netflix & CBC’s Newly Named Arctic Comedy ‘North Of North’; Production Underway In Canada  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/netflix-cbc-arctic-comedy-north-of-north-mary-lynn-rajskub-jay-ryan-1235858252/
 ["The comedy follows a young Inuk mother (Anna Lambe) who wants to build a new future for herself, but finds it won’t be easy in her small Arctic town where everyone knows her business."]
But can it be as good as "Arctic Air"?!!

‘Pulse’: Willa Fitzgerald & Colin Woodell Set As The Leads In Netflix Medical Drama Series  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/pulse-willa-fitzgerald-colin-woodell-netflix-medical-drama-series-1235858069/
 ["In Pulse, while the staff of Miami’s busiest Level 1 Trauma Center navigate medical emergencies, young ER doc Danny Simms (Fitzgerald) is unexpectedly promoted to Chief Resident amidst the fallout of her own provocative romantic relationship."]
Geez, why don't you just make a deal with a broadcast nets for stuff like this, Netflix?!

‘Black Rabbit’ Limited Series Starring Jason Bateman & Jude Law A Go At Netflix; Cleopatra Coleman & Dagmara Dominczyk Among 4 Cast  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/black-rabbit-jason-bateman-jude-law-netflix-cleopatra-coleman-dagmara-dominczyk-amaka-okafor-%e1%b9%a3ope-dirisu-1235858662/
 ["when the owner of a New York City hotspot (Bateman) allows his turbulent brother (Law) back in his life, he opens the door to escalating dangers that threaten to bring down everything he’s built"]
Is this a comedy? Or a drama? And why does it have to be a series?!

‘Atlas’ Trailer: Jennifer Lopez Fights To Save Humanity In Sci-Fi Thriller From Netflix  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/atlas-trailer-jennifer-lopez-netflix-sci-fi-thriller-1235857253/
 ["The pic, which opens May 24, follows Atlas Shepherd (Lopez), a brilliant but misanthropic data analyst with a deep distrust of artificial intelligence, who joins a mission to capture a renegade robot with whom she shares a mysterious past. But when plans go awry, her only hope of saving the future of humanity from AI is to trust it."]
But can she fight her ego?!!  ;p

     Streaming service news--Prime Video
  Amazon MGM Anne Hathaway & Nicholas Galitzine Pic ‘The Idea Of You’ Most Watched Trailer Ever For Streaming Movie  (March 16)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/anne-hathaway-the-idea-of-you-trailer-record-sxsw-1235860352/
Ok?...

Prime Video Sets ‘Outer Range’ Season 2 Premiere  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/outer-range-season-2-premiere-1235856797/
Did anyone around here even watch this?!...

     The business of TV
  Cable And Satellite Providers Required To Disclose “All In” Pricing Under Newly Passed FCC Rules  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/fcc-cable-and-satellite-prices-1235858769/
FTR, even I agree with laws like this.

2024 NCAA Basketball Deals, Special Programming Offered By Max  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/2024-ncaa-basketball-deals-special-programming-offered-by-max-streaming-1235859143/
 ["Starting today, U.S. Max subscribers can save more than 40% across all yearly plans when they prepay for one year. The limited-time offer is available through Tuesday, April 9."]
But I already get Max! (Not 4k, though...  >:/  )

Tubi Adds 200 Movies In Canada Through Studio Library Deals  (March 14)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/tubi-adds-200-movies-canada-warner-sony-nbcuniversal-1235858395/
Hey, Tubi?! - Do you think you can make a deal to bring all those old Canadian TV series *down to The States*, please?!

BBC News Enters FAST Game In U.S.  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/bbc-news-fast-channel-america-1235857094/
I never, ever watch the "FAST" news channels, but whatever.

Sports Fans “Want To Pull Their Hair Out” Trying Juggle Streaming And Linear, Nexstar’s Mike Biard Says, Which Is Why ‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Favor Local TV Over Prime Video  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/sports-fans-streaming-linear-tv-nfl-thursday-night-football-amazon-1235856141/
He's right - pro sports is making a big mistake ignoring OTA/linear TV. Only a few teams seem to be realizing the error - the rest are racing down the highway to their doom!

Starz CEO On Developing Replacements For Shows As They Become More Expensive After 3-4 Seasons  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/lionsgate-starz-ceo-content-costs-series-power-bmf-1235856002/
Starz is toast!!

     Obituaries
  Robyn Bernard Dies: ‘General Hospital’ Alum Was 64 (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/robyn-bernard-dead-general-hospital-alum-1235857938/
FTR, this was way before my time with The General.

Malachy McCourt Dies: ‘Ryan’s Hope’ Actor, Brother Of ‘Angela’s Ashes’ Author Frank McCourt Was 92  (March 11)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/malachy-mccourt-dead-1235855123/
Ditto - I never even saw "Ryan's Hope".

     Other News
  ‘7th Heaven’ Reunion At ’90s Con, Photo Gallery Shows Joyful Cast (March 16)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/7th-heaven-reunion-at-90s-con-photo-gallery-shows-cast-1235860373/
Would have liked a better reunion shot than that...

2024 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming  (March 15)
 https://deadline.com/feature/2024-tv-premiere-dates-1235365501/
I'll let Robin cover this, if she wants...  ;)

Olivia Munn Reveals Breast Cancer Diagnosis, Multiple Surgeries: “We Caught It With Enough Time That I Had Options”  (March 13)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/olivia-munn-breast-cancer-1235857340/
Scary.

Michael Douglas-Starrer ‘Franklin’ & ‘Becoming Karl Lagerfeld’ To Premiere At Canneseries  (March 12)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/canneseries-lineup-michael-douglas-daniel-bruhl-franklin-becoming-karl-lagerfeld-1235855782/
Another series I will probably never have time to watch!...