Re: TV news for March 17-23, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for March 17-23, 2024
De : IJBall (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 03:57:26
On 2024-03-23 21:20:43 +0000, Robin Miller said:

ABC news
  Ryan Murphy Series ‘Dr. Odyssey’ Starring Joshua Jackson Ordered By ABC (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/url-dr-odyssey-joshua-jackson-series-ryan-murphy-abc-1235863000/
Huge mistake - Ryan Murphy shows always suck, esp. after season #1.

‘9-1-1’ & ‘The Bachelor’ Crossover: Oliver Stark Teases “Fun Emergency” That Brings ABC Shows Together  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/911-the-bachelor-crossover-oliver-stark-fun-emergency-abc-shows-1235861802/
Idiocy! [roll]

CBS news
  CBS & CBS Studios Chiefs On Building ‘NCIS’ Universe: Pending Renewals, Possible Crossovers & Bringing Back Tiva  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/ncis-universe-renewals-crossovers-tony-ziva-spinoff-origins-sydney-1235860633/
Are they out of ideas?!  ;p

‘NCIS: Sydney’ Renewed For Second Season By CBS  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/ncis-sydney-renewed-second-season-cbs-1235862530/
Yes, I am aware - Robin beat me on this one too. [bow]

CW news
  ‘The Librarians: The Next Chapter’: Callum McGowan, Three More Round Out Cast  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-librarians-the-next-chapter-callum-mcgowan-cast-cw-spinoff-1235863789/
Disappointed that this article confirms that Christian Kane will only be a (recurring?) guest star, and not main cast on this show...

NBC news
  NBC Renews One Chicago Trio: ‘Med,’ ‘Fire’ & ‘P.D.’  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/nbc-renews-one-chicago-med-fire-amp-p-d-1235864777/
Meh. Though I am mildly curious to see who they replace Brett and Upton with on Fire and PD, respectively. (I'm wondering if they're setting up Bojana Novakovic to replace the latter...).

‘Law & Order’ & ‘Law & Order: SVU’ Renewed At NBC, ‘Law & Order: Organized Crime’ In Limbo  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/law-and-order-svu-renewed-nbc-law-and-order-organized-crime-limbo-1235864770/
Meh. I think they really blew it by "rebooting" L&O:OC away from a "season storyarc" this season.

‘New Amsterdam’ Sequel About Max’s Daughter In Works At NBC From Creator David Schulner  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/new-amsterdam-sequel-series-max-daughter-1235862496/
Hard pass.

Reba McEntire’s NBC Comedy Pilot Adds Tokala Black Elk, Rex Linn & Pablo Castelblanco  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/reba-mcentire-nbc-comedy-pilot-cast-tokala-black-elk-rex-linn-pablo-castelblanco-1235861662/   ["The pilot follows Bobbie (McEntire) who inherits her father’s restaurant and is less than thrilled to discover that she has a new business partner in the half-sister she never knew she had."]
  Melissa Peterman To Reunite With Reba McEntire, Joins NBC Comedy Pilot Alongside Belissa Escobedo  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/melissa-peterman-reba-mcentire-nbc-comedy-pilot-belissa-escobedo-cast-1235861582/
Hard pass!!1!

Cable channel news
  ‘Wizards Of Waverly Place’ Sequel Series Set At Disney Channel With Selena Gomez & David Henrie Returning  (March 22)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/wizards-of-waverly-place-sequel-series-greenlit-disney-1235866137/
:/

‘Erin & Aaron’ Canceled After One Season At Nickelodeon  (March 22)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/erin-and-aaron-canceled-no-season-2-nickelodeon-1235866420/
I'm surprised Nick is trying to do originals at all anymore!

‘House Of The Dragon’ Season 2 Trailers & Premiere Date: Pick A Side, Green Or Black [HBO]  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/video/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-trailer/
Just 2 years after season #1!!1!  >:/

‘The Way Home’ Renewed For Third Season By Hallmark Channel  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-way-home-renewed-third-season-hallmark-channel-1235862789/
I just can't make myself pull the trigger on this...

‘That Girl Lay Lay’ To End With Season 2 At Nickelodeon  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/that-girl-lay-lay-canceled-no-season-3-nickelodeon-1235862413/
Didn't season #2 air, like, a *year* ago?!
Is this really a surprise to anyone?!!

HBO Orders Rachel Sennott Comedy Pilot  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/rachel-sennott-hbo-comedy-pilot-1235861697/
 ["In the untitled project, a codependent friend group reunites, navigating how the time apart, ambition and new relationships have changed them."]
I think she's promising, so I would give this a look, even though she tends to do stuff that I'm not very interested in...

Chrissy Metz, Jaime Ray Newman, Katie Lowes & George Ferrier Join Cast Of Starz Drama ‘The Hunting Wives’  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/chrissy-metz-jaime-ray-newman-katie-lowes-george-ferrier-the-hunting-wives-starz-1235861555/   ["Written by Rebecca Cutter based on May Cobb’s novel of the same name, The Hunting Wives tells the story of Sophie O’Neil (Brittany Snow) and her family’s move from the East Coast to deep East Texas, where she succumbs to socialite Margo Bank’s (Malin Åkerman) irresistible charms ­ and finds her life consumed by obsession, seduction and murder."]
Anim already said it!!

'The Old Man' Season 2 Sets Fall 2024 Release Window on FX  (Feb. 9)
 https://collider.com/the-old-man-season-2-release-window/
 [From last month but new to me]
Gah - this has been off so long I'd almost forgotten about it!

Streaming service news--Apple TV+
  ‘Foundation’: Cherry Jones, Brandon P. Bell Among 8 Cast For Season 3 Of Apple Series  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/foundation-season-3-cast-apple-cherry-jones-brandon-p-bell-1235864743/
OK?...

Streaming service news--Disney+
  ‘Goosebumps’ Rounds Out Series Regulars For Season 2  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/goosebumps-season-2-cast-1235864222/
  ‘Goosebumps’ Casts Ana Ortiz As Series Regular For Season 2  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/goosebumps-season-2-cast-ana-ortiz-1235864220/
  David Schwimmer To Lead Season 2 Of Disney+ Anthology Series ‘Goosebumps’  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/david-schwimmer-goosebumps-anthology-series-season-2-1235863622/   ["From Disney Branded Television and produced by Sony Pictures Television, the series is based upon R.L Stine’s bestselling Scholastic series. Each season features a new story, setting and cast. Season 2 will follow teenage siblings who discover a threat stirring, triggering a chain of events that unravel a profound mystery. As they delve into the unknown, the duo find themselves entangled in the chilling tale of four teenagers who mysteriously vanished in 1994."]
OK?...

Streaming service news--Hulu
  Mark Duplass Joins Ellen Pompeo In ‘Orphan’ Limited Series At Hulu (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/mark-duplass-ellen-pompeo-orphan-limited-series-hulu-1235863445/   ["Written by Katie Robbins, who serves as showrunner, the series is inspired by the true story of Natalia Grace and the Midwestern couple who adopted her believing she was a little girl with dwarfism but gradually started to believe she may not be who she said she was."]
Hmmmm...

Streaming service news--Max
  Karen Pittman Exits ‘And Just Like That…’ Ahead Of Season 3 Of Max Series  (March 22)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/karen-pittman-leaving-and-just-like-that-nya-wallace-1235866253/
I think the more relevant question is - Why is this show still on?!

MMA Championship Bellator Moves From Showtime To Max  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/bellator-mma-moves-from-showtime-to-max-1235862603/
More evidence that Showtime is dead...

Streaming service news--Netflix
  “Black Summer” Season 3? Netflix Has Reportedly Cancelled the Zombie Series  (Jan. 31)
 https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3798067/black-summer-season-3-netflix-has-reportedly-cancelled-the-zombie-series/   [more old news, but new to me]
Yeah, I thought this was known a while ago...

Streaming service news--Paramount+
  ‘Ark: The Animated Series’ Starring Michelle Yeoh, Russell Crowe, Gerard Butler, Vin Diesel & More Released By Paramount+ In Surprise Drop (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/ark-the-animated-series-paramount-plus-release-michelle-yeoh-russell-crowe-1235864121/   ["Ark: The Animated Series is a sweeping saga spanning eons of human history. When 21st century paleontologist Helena Walker (Madden) finds herself resurrected on a mysterious primeval island populated by prehistoric beasts, she must learn to survive with new allies from throughout time, while trying to uncover the true nature of their strange new world."]
I was really hoping that they were going somewhere different with this...  ;p

‘Skymed’ Renewed For Season 3 By Paramount+; Aaron Ashmore Upped To Series Regular, Two More Join Cast  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/skymed-renewed-season-3-by-paramount-plus-cast-1235862732/
I only know one person (two with Ashmore) in the cast of this one, and it's not enough for me to bother with...

Streaming service news--Peacock
  Pete Davidson’s ‘Bupkis’ Not Moving Forward With Season 2 At Peacock (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/pete-davidson-bupkis-not-moving-forward-season-2-peacock-1235864912/   ["Pete Davidson is moving on. The comedian has decided not to proceed with a second season of his semi-autobiographical series Bupkis for Peacock."]
What a flake! Will anybody want to work with him after this?!

Streaming service news--Prime Video
  Maggie Q To Star As Renée Ballard In ‘Bosch’ Spinoff Series For Prime Video  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/maggie-q-renee-ballard-bosch-spinoff-1235864247/
 ["The untitled series follows Detective Renée Ballard (Q), who is tasked with running the LAPD’s new cold-case unit — a poorly funded, all-volunteer unit with the largest case load in the city. Ballard approaches these frozen-in-time cases with empathy and determination. When she uncovers a larger conspiracy during her investigations, she’ll lean on the assistance of her retired ally, Harry Bosch (Welliver), to navigate the dangers that threaten both her unit and her life."]
What happened to Freevee?!  ;p

The business of TV
  Max Launching In Europe On May 21 — Series Mania  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/max-europe-launch-may-streaming-series-mania-1235864345/
Yay?...

Hollywood Contraction: Unscripted TV Business Facing “Crushing” Grim Reality As Fewer Shows Lead To Fewer Jobs  (March 21)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/hollywood-contraction-unscripted-tv-business-crushing-grim-reality-1235863807/
Good - I think most of us here would like to see reality TV mostly die...

Hollywood Contraction Hits Entertainment Executive Jobs: “This Is A Full-Scale Depression”  (March 18)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/hollywood-job-losses-executives-full-scale-depression-1235841674/
Right. Sure. [roll]

DirecTV To Allow Customers To Opt Out Of Local TV Stations In Special Package  (March 17)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/directv-allow-customers-to-opt-out-of-local-tv-stations-1235860842/
I'm really unclear what's going to happen to local TV stations and OTA TV...

Other News
  2024 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming  (March 22)
 https://deadline.com/feature/2024-tv-premiere-dates-1235365501/
I look forward to Robin's post!  ;)

In A First, Imax To Screen NBC’s Live Coverage Of Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony  (March 22)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/imax-nbc-live-coverage-paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-1235865680/
[roll]

‘Downton Abbey’ Sequel Movie Confirmed By Imelda Staunton; Actress Says It Will Be “Final” Chapter  (March 20)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/downton-abbey-final-movie-confirmed-imelda-staunton-1235863344/
About tims!

Disney’s Expanded D23 Fan Event: Ticket Prices, On Sale Dates, Day-By-Day Event Focus & New Disney Legends Announced  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/disney-d23-tickets-on-sale-dates-presentations-1235862902/
I'm assuming Arthur is going?...

Peak TV Placed In Perspective At Series Mania As Research Shows It Would Take Audiences 350 Years To Watch Everything On Streaming  (March 19)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/peak-tv-series-mania-european-commission-1235862140/
That's exactly the problem. Think just about shows like Bosch and Downton Abbey - I literally won't have the time to tackle shows like that until I retire...  [shrug!]