Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-24 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-24 (Sunday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 20:07:28
On 2024-03-25 08:30:40 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

What did you watch?
 Travel day, so just bits an pieces of things:
 Saw some of March Madness - Grand Canyon's "Cinderalla" run came to an end at the hands of Alabama. San Diego St. (are they the only "West Coast" team left, if you don't count Arizona?!) absolutely *punishes* Yale! so they'll get a rematch in the Sweet Sixteen with UConn (which they will surely lose!).
 Saw some Formula 1 - Melbourne Grand Prix(?). The Ferrari team killed the field, coming in 1 & 2. Followed by the McLaren team, who came 3 & 4. There was also a spectacular crash on the final lap! which eliminated the second of the Mercedes cars - so neither Mercedes car finished!
 School of Rock - The last hour of the flick, which was being broadcast on CMT, of all things! I'm still surprised that the girl who was the bass player in the film never went on and did anything notable (note: it looks like she's been working, but she's never had another prominent role since), though I guess this was one of those cases where one big role dstroyed a child actors career/life (kind of like Jake Lloyd).
   (Looking at it, it's interested parts what the Nick TV show kept from the movie, and what parts they changed for the show.)

I think I saw the movie once and didn't care for it.  I need to revisit it.

And that was about it.

I watched:
The Crying Game (Showtime) 1992 movie written and directed by Neil Jordan and staring Stephen Rea as an IRA member who kidnaps a British solder played by Forest Whitaker.  While a hostage Rea and Whitaker sort of become friends and Whitaker tells Rea about his girlfriend back in London.  Whitaker winds getting killed during a rescue attempt and Rea decides to head to London to look up Whitaker's girl.  But in a shocking reveal Whitaker's girl turns out to be a Goa'uld named Ra.
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (4K disc) 1999 movie starring Forest Whitaker as a hit man for the mob who lives his life based on the way of an ancient Japanese Samurai.  When his boss turns on him he has to take out the mobsters before they take him out.  Movie holds up great.  But one huge annoyance with the disc is one of the characters in the movie only speaks French.  A running joke is no one can understand what he's saying, but the subtitles translates his dialogue and it's usually humorous.  But on this disc whenever he talks, it just says, "speaking French" without the translation.  :-/
Repo Men (blu-ray) 2010 sci-fi movie starring Jude Law and Forest Whitaker as repo men who instead of repossessing cars for a missed payment, they repossess human organs while the person is still out and about on the street.  Things take a turn when Jude Law winds up with one of the company's hearts keeping him alive and his best friend Whitaker is sent to retrieve it.  This has been on my rewatch list forever.  I haven't watched this since seeing it the theater and forgot pretty much everything about it except the ending.
The Talented Mr. Ripley (blu-ray) 1999 movie starring Matt Damon as a con man who is paid by Jude Law's father to travel to Italy and talk his son into returning to America.  But instead Damon weasels his way into Jude's life and begins to take it over, especially after he murders Law and has to keep murdering people to cover up what he did.  The movie holds up great.  It's been on my rewatch list forever.  I finally broke down and forced myself to watch it again since there is a new Netflix series debuting next week.
The Regime (HBO) - "Midnight Feast" - Picking up a few months after the last episode, Kate Winselt's henchman has been rotting in a dungeon. He then meets the previous prime minister who was also locked away.  The former minister thinks the henchman would make a good ally, but the henchman has other plans.