Re: Repeating my comments on killfiling crossposted political threads

Sujet : Re: Repeating my comments on killfiling crossposted political threads
De : super70s (at) *nospam* super70s.invalid (super70s)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 25. Mar 2024, 21:21:11

On 2024-03-24 17:48:58 +0000, Adam H. Kerman said:

For those of you who remember the good old days, rec.arts.tv was largely
free of political articles crossposted from other newsgroups till the
antics of a certain resentful actor who didn't have much of a career in
regional theater and used to post via his WebTV device started dragging
them in. Then Ubi the shithead and a few others began dragging in the
political crosspost threads. Pretty soon, some of those who regularly
crossposted political articles began adding rec.arts.tv to the crosspost
as this remained an active newsgroup.

I've tried various tactics in my own newsreader to avoid crossposted
threads. I was killfiling based on newsgroups in the crosspost, but I've
switched to entering newsgroups whose articles I don't want to read
first to junk them, then reading rec.arts.tv. Junking an article (your
newsreader may call it something else) marks the article as read in the
newsgroup being read plus any newsgroup it's crossposted into.

This is how I de-yadified rec.arts.tv by killfiling in that newsgroup
and then junking the rest, and then reading rec.arts.tv.

Several of you are posting followups in these crossposted political
threads. If you don't cut the crosspost entirely and just leave
rec.arts.tv as the sole newsgroup on the Newsgroups header, I've
killfiled your followups.

Just sayin'.

If you want me to read your followup, then don't crosspost.

Because of the political crossposting, rec.arts.tv has a bad reputation
among the rest of Usenet. There are people who simply refuse to read it
due to the political crossposting. It's entirely possible that if I
hadn't already been a regular long before this crap started, I might
have been unwilling to participate here.

I hate the crossposters. I think they aren't encouraging conversation
but ruining every newsgroup they touch. Properly, individual newsgroups
develop their own personalities and crossposting for that reason has
always been harmful to our social culture, such as it is.

In followup, watch for the crosspost, and watch for antics by people
like Ubi the shithead and others who attempt to redirect your followup
elsewhere with the use of Followup-To.

I would encourage you not to crosspost in followup but that's your
decision, not mine.

BTR1701 originates his "conservative red meat item" in here (and in
here only) daily, does that count as one of your "political threads"?
 I said "crosspost" and its derivative words 17 times throughout the
article. How did you manage to miss it?
No I didn't "miss it" at all.

BTR1701 may start a political thread but he doesn't crosspost.
I thought you were complaining about the prevalence of political threads in r.a.t. What the hell difference does it make whether they're crossposted or not.

If you post a followup in a crossposted political thread without cutting
the crosspost, I won't read it. Do you understand?
Heavens to Murgatroyd, can we survive?