Re: 'OT] Are you ready for rain tax?

Sujet : Re: 'OT] Are you ready for rain tax?
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 31. Mar 2024, 03:46:53

Yeah, that's right, a tax on home owners that is levied every time in
rains. It's coming to Toronto and, according to the comments under this
video, is already being levied in other Canadian cities, like Halifax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77rYL5OHFdE [6 minutes]

The video starts by pointing out the immense damage done to a solar
farm in Texas by hail. They mention that neighbours of this solar farm
are concerned that the toxic materials in the broken solar panels,
especially cadmium telluride, will leach into the groundwater and
poison everyone accessing that water.

Excuse me. Solar power has benefits only, not risks.

At about 4:15, they finally get to Toronto and point out the proposed
rain tax. They also mention the existing tax that is levied on
Torontonians that collect rainwater. (And no, I'm not clear on how they
determine that people are collecting rainwater and what volumes they
are collecting.) Apparently, homeowners are assessed tax for the amount
of non-porous surfaces they have on their property, like roofs,
driveways, and concrete patios, on the theory that rain landing on
these surfaces will end up in the sewers, which somehow makes it
necessary to charge homeowners for what they allow to reach the sewers.

Can we fire these imbeciles yet?

I understand the concept as a fee, but I sure don't see how there's any
fair way to assess the tax. So why not encourage collecting rainwater?
That keeps it out of sewers.