Re: Supreme Court hates Netanyahu

Sujet : Re: Supreme Court hates Netanyahu
De : ahk (at) *nospam* chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 31. Mar 2024, 05:21:36
Sun, 31 Mar 2024 02:25:09 -0000 (UTC) Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com>:

I keep posting without the article body. Sorry about that.

No party in Israel has ever had a majority in Knesset, so coalition
governments are often formed by making deals with the religious
parties. This includes tuition and massive stipends for living
expenses.

Do you have any idea why Israel chose to have a proportional
representation system in the first place? I'm guessing that it was
because this was deemed the fairest system at the time but maybe it's
historical.

Israel still lacks a constitution and works on a series of organic laws
that may be repealed by the Knesset at any time. Some laws of the
British Mandate are still on the books, as are some laws from the
Ottoman Turks, especially relevant with Easter and the Status Quo. (Each
denomination enters through a different gate.) There are no constituencies.

Israel was going to get around to writing a constitution but there was
no time, what with several wars for independence.

They would probably make their lives easier if they had a
non-proportional system or even just a different proportional system -
apparently there are many - but maybe that would fly in the face of
centuries of tradition?

There is a government in reaction to the Palestinians, whatever the
crisis of the moment is. Israel's politics are tremendously subject to
outside influence. If there were true peace, things would be very much
different.

. . .

I know that Bibi was trying to rein in the high court a year or two
back and that it raised a huge controversy in Israel. I'm not clear
on how things ended up or even if the reforms were finally implemented,
changed or abandoned.

The war put everything on hold. Protests over the supreme court made the
time right for the attack.

I've seen plenty of predictions that Bibi was done in the wake of Oct.
7 but other pundits say it's premature to count him out. I know that
I'm not even going to TRY to predict his future beyond the fact that he
will die eventually.

I have no clue.

I've been amazed and deeply impressed at how the Israeli public,
especially those hating Bibi, have put their animosity on hold while
the current war is taking place.

Netanyahu might as well be a caretaker. It's their country and they will
hold on to it at all cost.

They may be counting the minutes until the war is over so that Bibi can
be dealt with but they are "keeping their powder dry" until then. Or so
it seems in the things I've read and seen.

I think that's the least of their problems.

Only Schumer seems to be trying to push Israel into dumping Bibi now.

I know Schumer did it to bail out Biden but it was a huge mistake.

If Bibi's coalition fractures, who will likely be the beneficiary? A
couple of years back, Ganz seemed to be the guy that everyone seemed to
think should be PM but I'm not sure if they still feel that way.

I haven't a clue. Ganz isn't as impressive as Netanyahu, a genuine war hero.