Re: [OT] Driving to Montreal? Check for trackers!

Sujet : Re: [OT] Driving to Montreal? Check for trackers!
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 01. Apr 2024, 17:55:07
On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 13:40:33 -0700
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <20240331155259.000063ff@example.com>,

Apparently, the car thieves in Montreal are planting various
trackers on cars that visit that city, presumably with the intent
of stealing them later on. More than one car from Vermont that
visited Montreal recently was determined to have trackers after
that visit.

https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2024/03/31/vermont-police-warn-drivers-returning
-from-montreal-to-check-for-hidden-gps-devices/

Apparently, the thieves are happy to cross the border to find the
cars at a later date. Or they have confederates on the US side of
the border that will steal them. Or maybe the thieves are too dim
to look at the license plate before planting the tracker.

I'd love to find a tracker, then sit in the shadows on my front porch
with my shotgun waiting...

You should come up to Toronto and train the Toronto Police Service in
how to do their jobs. I was horrified when their official advice to
home-owners was to leave their doors unlocked and their car keys near
the door so that car thieves wouldn't have to hurt anyone in the home
to get the keys.

This got such a reaction from people that the Chief of the Toronto
Police apparently tried to walk the incident back (slightly) by saying
that the advice was well-meaning and came from a good place. However, I
did NOT hear any pro-active steps that the *police* were planning to
stem the increase in car thefts and home invasions to enable those
thefts; they merely gave advice to home-owners to park in their garages
and things like that:

https://nationalpost.com/news/auto-theft-car-keys-toronto-police

There were reports last week that the TPS had collared a car theft ring
and some guns as a result of a couple of simultaneous undercover ops:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/stolen-vehicles-recovered-toronto-police-1.7157083

THAT is more along the lines of what police should be doing to deal
with car thieves! But they've got to do a LOT more of this to reduce
the numbers of vehicles stolen.

--
Rhino