Re: Some of the stupid people you can have in govt.

Sujet : Re: Some of the stupid people you can have in govt.
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. Apr 2024, 02:43:42
On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 17:12:36 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Apr 2024 11:50:31 -0400, Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
wrote:

“After realizing the lack of LGBTQ+ visibility in marine science led her to
abandon her childhood dream, Nicole Morris decided to re-route her life path
to try and become a marine biologist, to conserve endangered rays,” a
description of the film, posted to the National Park Service website reads.

“All I was ever exposed to were documentaries that had the perspectives of
straight men,” Morris bemoans in the documentary. “As I got older it became
harder and harder to imagine myself in those films,” she says before later
adding, “So I had to ask myself ‘was marine science something that a queer
woman could do?’”

Which to me is ridiculous.

Yeah, I never understood why people feel the need to have someone to
look up to in that field that they want to enter. I never considered a
career because of who was in it. Only if I was interested in doing
that for a lifetime and could I earn a living. I didn't know anyone in
my first choice of a field (Chemical Engineering) and still can't name
anyone in it.

Now the career I did choose had a fair number of women in it (at least
at the schools I went to) from the beginning. So clearly women didn't
feel that they had to know some female computer science person before
entering the field.

Scientifically the value of her work is how it's evaluated by her
profefssional peers, not her gender identity.

That's true, but I will acknowledge that depending on where you are
you can run into sexism that could work against her. Not everywhere,
by any means, but the stories are out there.

While I appreciate the sciences used to be an all-male domain that was
then this is now and hasn't been the case for a very long time.

So my response to the question in the last line of your quote is "of
course you can - go for it!"