Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"

Sujet : Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"
De : super70s (at) *nospam* super70s.invalid (super70s)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. Apr 2024, 05:18:21
On 2024-04-05 00:03:47 +0000, FPP said:

On 4/4/24 4:02 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <uumno6$p8sf$2@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said he's looking at America in a new light
after a recent visit to Japan.
 The 56-year-old said his trip abroad made him realize that the U.S. is
unsanitary compared to the land of the rising sun.
 "After traveling to Japan, I realize that this place, this USA we're always
chanting about, is a filthy and disgusting country," he said during his
monologue on Monday night's episode of "Jimmy Kimmel Live."
 I agree with him. My trip to Tokyo was an eye-opener. I've never seen a
city so clean and beautiful with pleasant, polite, happy people
everywhere you go. Its only drawback was that-- of all the places I've
been around the world-- it's one of the harder cities to get around and
function in if you don't speak the language. I thought at the time that
if I spoke and read Japanese, I'd consider living in Tokyo for good if I
could.
 Coming back to the shit-pile Los Angeles has become in just the last 10
short years was very disheartening.
 It's no surprise it would be especially noticeable to Kimmel, whose
show's home is in an old Masonic temple right across Hollywood Blvd from
the Chinese Theater and the Hollywood-and-Highland Complex, where
fentanyl addicts stagger around like WALKING DEAD extras, crime is out
of control, vagrants tents and trash mountains abound, and dead bodies
lying on the sidewalk are a routine occurrence.
 Coming back to that from Japan would be quite a contrast indeed.

Kimmel went on to describe how he used to believe that while the U.S. had
"areas for improvement," it was mostly ahead in terms of cleanliness compared
to most of the rest of the world.
 "I go to Europe, and there are dirt holes where plumbing is supposed to be. I
hold my breath, and I go, 'I'm glad I'm not one of these people,' and then I
bathrooms in Japan.
 "The bathrooms in Tokyo and Kyoto are cleaner than our operating rooms here.
Everywhere you go the bathrooms are clean, they don't smell bad, they have
those toilets that wash you from the inside out," he marveled. Kimmel also
joked that even truck stop restrooms were "cleaner than Jennifer Garner's
teeth -- the cleanest. Beautiful."
 "And it's not just the bathrooms," the host added. "People carry their own
trash. There are no garbage cans," Kimmel said, mentioning the 1995 terrorist
incident when a man put poisonous sarin gas in trash cans.
 Yes! I noticed that. I had to carry around an empty Coke can for several
hours because there was nowhere on the street to put it.

This resulted in the country removing public trash receptacles and Japanese
citizens adapting to dispose of their own garbage.
 "They're like OK, no more trash cans, everybody clean up after yourselves.
And guess what -- they clean up after themselves! They bring their garbage to
their houses," he added.
 "It's like the whole country is Disneyland, and we're living at Six Flags,"
Kimmel said. "I've been home 36 hours, I have never felt dirtier. We are like
hogs compared to the Japanese. I can't imagine what they must think of us.
'Oh, the garbage people. Yes, the Americans. Garbage.'"
 [NYC was much cleaner before several Demcorats were running it, Jimmy-Boy.]
 Japan's taxes vs US are generally considered to be pretty high. In part this is because of the Japan tax brackets are quite different to what we're used to here
 To put this into context, the US top federal tax rate in 2021 is 37%, compared to Japan's 45%.
 So you'd be OK with higher taxes to fix our problems at home, right?
Because that's how things work.
Tokyo has 14 million people, I doubt "everywhere you go" is so clean it would pass a Drill Sergeant's inspection (google "Tokyo slums" if you don't believe me).
Kimmel's rant fits in well with our homegrown rightwingers' racist dog whistle about "dirty Blue-run cities" though.