Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"

Sujet : Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. Apr 2024, 06:36:53
On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 21:34:21 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 16:05:02 -0400

On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 13:02:19 -0700, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <uumno6$p8sf$2@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said he's looking at America in a new
light after a recent visit to Japan.

The 56-year-old said his trip abroad made him realize that the
U.S. is unsanitary compared to the land of the rising sun.

"After traveling to Japan, I realize that this place, this USA
we're always chanting about, is a filthy and disgusting country,"
he said during his monologue on Monday night's episode of "Jimmy
Kimmel Live."

I agree with him. My trip to Tokyo was an eye-opener. I've never
seen a city so clean and beautiful with pleasant, polite, happy
people everywhere you go. Its only drawback was that-- of all the
places I've been around the world-- it's one of the harder cities to
get around and function in if you don't speak the language. I
thought at the time that if I spoke and read Japanese, I'd consider
living in Tokyo for good if I could.

But my understanding is you would have a difficult time living there
because you aren't Japanese.

I saw an interesting documentary on that quite a few years back. The
Japanese are hospitable to tourists but they really only accept ethnic
Japanese that speak the language fluently as being real Japanese; they
are essentially somewhat xenophobic about the prospect of immigration
to help them with their demographic crunch.

Even Americans of Japanese descent are not fully accepted and I've
heard that Ainu, the indigenous people of Japan, suffer discrimination,
as to Koreans, even if they are descended from people who have lived in
Japan for the past century. (Korea was under Japanese control from
1905-1945, which is still a source of animosity between the countries.)

I may have seen the same Youtube video. The Japanese American girl
that looked Japanese apparently had an easier time of it even though
she had only been living in Japan for something like five years. The
other girl had been living in Japan for most of her life but she
looked like a standard American girl. So even though she spoke fluent
Japanese and considered Japanese culture as her own she wasn't that
well received outside of her home area. I suppose it's a natural
result of having a mono-culture so anything outside of the norm is
distrusted.

Things like buying a home would be very
difficult for you.

That may depend on where you want to buy this home. I saw a video
several months back that highlighted some Japanese towns that were
literally giving houses away. The catch is that these were in towns
that were largely depopulated due to their main industries going away.
The video did not say where the free houses were available to
foreigners.

True. I discount those homes as they really aren't desirable for
anyone and was thinking of trying to buy something in a big city like
Tokyo.

So it really sounds like a great place to visit as
a foreigner but not so to permanently live as a foreigner. As for the
cleanliness isn't Singapore another place that's kept exceptionally
clean but hot and humid.

Yes, indeed! I used to know a guy from Singapore and he told me that it
is only a few degrees from the equator and right on the ocean - it's an
island - so it is between 85 and 90 degrees and has a humidity in the
high 90s all year round. Also, the sun rises at 7:30 AM and sets
at 7:30 PM all year round.

At least there's no need to worry about Daylight Savings Time there.