Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

Sujet : Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs
De : fredp1571 (at) *nospam* gmail.com (FPP)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. Apr 2024, 15:35:39
On 4/5/24 4:55 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
On 4/4/2024 10:29 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

. . .

The sad thing is you can't always tell what the dog is going to do.

You pay attention to the dog's ears, his head position, and his tail.
They make it quite clear. Also, dogs pay attention TO YOU, so show
leadership by standing tall with a proper stride. Don't approach the dog
in a way he might feel threatened, like with your from above trying to
pet the top of his head. If he's willing to be petted, he'll let you but
do it from below eye level on his chest.

Some dogs, like herding dogs, might be aggressive with their mouths,
like grabbing wrists or ankles, but that's trying to dominate and not
trying to kill. A dog that attacks the neck or face is quite dangerous.

I run into dogs being walked by their owners all the time and most dogs
are just happy to see anyone but I've run into a few who seemed like
they wanted some attention as they came over to me as I was walking by
but clearly didn't actually want to be touched. That's taught me to
always be cautious when going to pet a dog even though the owner is
right there so I'll keep my fingers closed in my hand just in case the
dog wants to take a nip.

Right. NEVER offer dog a finger.

Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be friendly.  Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as being aggressive.

That said I can't imagine why the guy is running around with a gun. If
he's just worried about pets attacking him a gun is massive overkill
when something like pepper spray would do the job and not cause
permanent harm or death.
 If he's worried about being attacked by dogs he's in the wrong job.

Proper response is to ignore the dog.  Don't look at it, don't attempt to touch it or go up to it.
If the dog wants to be friendly, it will come up to you. You don't make eye contact unless they want to initiate contact.
This is the preferred method of approaching strange dogs.  You don't. Tail wagging doesn't mean friendly, it means excitement.
--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC Bible  25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0