Re: TV news for March 30-April 6, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for March 30-April 6, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 07. Apr 2024, 00:18:27
On 4/6/24 2:37 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

     ABC news
  ‘Will Trent’ Renewed For Season 3 By ABC  (April 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/will-trent-renewed-season-3-abc-1235875431/
I'm sayin' I beat Robin!!  ;p

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Renewed For Season 21 By ABC  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/greys-anatomy-renewed-season-21-abc-1235874176/
I'm quittin' unless Jo comes back!!  ;p

‘9-1-1’ Renewed For Eighth Season By ABC  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/9-1-1-renewed-for-eighth-season-abc-1235873978/
Meh!

‘9-1-1’ & ‘The Bachelor’ Crossover Is Happening Because Of Jennifer Love Hewitt  (March 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/9-1-1-the-bachelor-crossover-jennifer-love-hewitt-1235872491/
Damn her!
Damn her to Hell!!  :p

     CBS news
  ‘FBI: International’ Adds Teri Polo To Season 3 Cast  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/fbi-international-teri-polo-season-3-cast-1235874372/
Sure.
But I'm sad they lost the previous Euro hottie...

‘Elsbeth’ Rounds Out Guest Cast With Elizabeth Lail, Arian Moayed & Laura Benanti  (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/elsbeth-cast-elizabeth-lail-arian-moayed-laura-benanti-1235873010/
Wow - Lail as main cast could have almost gotten me to start watching this! Good thing she's just a guest star!

Yael Grobglas Joins CBS’ ‘Matlock’, Setting Up ‘Jane The Virgin’ Reunion   (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/yael-grobglas-matlock-jane-the-virgin-reunion-jennie-snyder-urman-1235872969/
Who cares?! This show is NOT "Matlock" in any way shape or form!!

     NBC news
  ‘Quantum Leap’ Canceled By NBC After 2 Seasons  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/quantum-leap-canceled-nbc-2-seasons-1235877093/
Did I beat Robin here too?!  O:)

Liza Palmer’s New Novel ‘Family Reservations’ In Works As Drama Series At NBC From Ilene Chaiken & Universal TV  (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/universal-tv-developing-liza-palmer-book-family-reservations-ilene-chaiken-to-write-1235873172/
 ["The book, which publishes today, follows culinary pioneer and world-renowned restaurateur Maren Winter, who is nearing retirement. Each of her three daughters is eager to take the reins of running her restaurant empire, the Winter Group. Ruled by her deep insecurities about becoming irrelevant, Maren pits her three daughters against each other, beginning her own dangerous descent into madness and starting the Winter sisters on their journey to freedom."]
Um... So it's "Queen Lear"?!...

     Cable channel news
  ‘Game Of Thrones’ Spinoff ‘A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms’ Casts Peter Claffey & Dexter Sol Ansell In Lead Roles  [HBO]  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/game-of-thrones-hedge-knight-casting-1235876884/
OK...?

‘The Walking Dead: Dead City’ Adds Kim Coates To Season 2 [AMC]  (April 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-walking-dead-dead-city-kim-coates-season-2-1235876294/
I like him. And he has experience! ("Resident Evil" series...)

‘Wolf Hall: The Mirror And The Light’: PBS Masterpiece Drops First-Look Photos From Drama Starring Mark Rylance & Damian Lewis  (April 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/wolf-hall-the-mirror-and-the-light-masterpiece-photos-mark-rylance-damian-lewis-1235874257/
 ["Masterpiece PBS and the BBC have released first-look photos from 'Wolf Hall: The Mirror and the Light,' an adaptation of the final novel in Hilary Mantel’s award-winning trilogy. Mark Rylance is reprising his role as Thomas Cromwell, while Damian Lewis is back as King Henry VIII. Also returning are Jonathan Pryce as Cardinal Wolsey, Kate Phillips as Henry VIII’s third wife Jane Seymour and Lilit Lesser as Princess Mary, the daughter of Henry and his first wife Catherine of Aragon."]
It's only a decade to late for Adam!!

‘The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon’ Teaser — Carol Kicks Butt In Season 2 Of Spinoff Series [AMC]  (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon-the-book-of-carol-trailer-melissa-mcbride-1235872873/
 >:/

     Streaming service news--Apple TV+
  Sandrine Holt & Corbin Bernsen Join Apple’s ‘Your Friends And Neighbors’ As Recurring  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/your-friends-and-neighbors-series-adds-sandrine-holt-corbin-bernsen-1235876927/
Well, I liked them both. But I doubt I'll be watching this, even with Jon Hamm...

Owen Wilson Golf Comedy Series For Apple Casts Peter Dager As Co-Lead (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/owen-wilson-golf-comedy-apple-peter-dager-1235876415/
 ["The untitled comedy stars Wilson as Pryce Cahill, an over-the-hill, ex-pro golfer whose career was derailed prematurely 20 years ago. After he gets fired from his job at an Indiana sporting goods store and his wife walks out on him, Pryce hedges his bets entirely on a troubled 17-year-old golf phenom, played by Dager."]
Maybe, but I'd rather this was a movie...

‘The Savant’ Apple Series Rounds Out Cast With 8, Including Jordana Spiro, Michael Mosley, Dagmara Dominczyk  (April 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-savant-cast-jordana-spiro-michael-mosley-jessica-chastain-1235875239/
 ["Jessica Chastain, who also executive produces, plays a top-secret investigator known as the Savant, who infiltrates online hate groups to take down the most violent men in the country. Nnamdi Asomugha plays her husband. Inspired by a true story published by Cosmopolitan, the storyline and additional character details are being kept under wraps."]
Meh. I'd rather have just a straight high-concept spy caper...

     Streaming service news--Disney+
  Jon Bernthal Returns As The Punisher Alongside Charlie Cox In New ‘Daredevil: Born Again’ Set Photos [Disney+]  (April 3)
 https://deadline.com/gallery/daredevil-born-again-jon-bernthal-punisher-set-photos/
Meh...

‘Descendants: The Rise of Red’ Teaser Introduces New Characters To Disney Villain Franchise; Release Date Set For Summer [Disney+]  (April 2)
 ["'Descendants: The Rise of Red' follows the story of Red, the rebellious daughter of the Queen of Hearts, and Chloe, Cinderella’s perfectionist daughter. When the tyrannical Queen of Hearts incites a coup against Auradon, polar opposites Red and Chloe must join forces and travel back in time to undo the traumatic event that set Red’s mother down her villainous path."]
 https://deadline.com/video/descendants-the-rise-of-red-teaser-release-date-disney/
Double-"meh"!!

     Streaming service news--Netflix
  [snip]
And, once again, there's not one thing I am interested in here.
Between Netflix's lack of content, and its apparently terrible bandwidth for 4k delivery, I may never be resubscribing at this rate!

     Streaming service news--Paramount+
  ‘Tulsa King’: Frank Grillo Joins Season 2 Of Paramount+ Series  (April 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/tulsa-king-frank-grillo-season-2-1235876246/
This may actually get me to check this out...

‘Criminal Minds: Evolution’ Casts Felicity Huffman [Paramount+]  (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/criminal-minds-evolution-casts-felicity-huffman-jason-gideon-ex-wife-1235871968/
OTOH, this probably does the opposite here...

     Streaming service news--Prime Video
  ‘Legally Blonde’ Spinoff Series In Works At Amazon  (April 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/legally-blonde-spinoff-series-amazon-reese-witherspoon-josh-schwartz-stephanie-savage-1235876136/
Oh, Gawd, no! - this is another thing that should never have gone past the original first film.

‘Gen V’ Season 2 Production Delayed Following Star Chance Perdomo’s Tragic Death  (March 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/03/gen-v-season-2-production-chance-perdomo-dead-1235872453/
At this point, I think the odds that we ever see a second season of this series are incredibly low...
Instead, I expect some of the characters to pop up in season #4 of "The Boys".

     Streaming service news--Other services
  Great American Pure Flix Launches New Faith Drama ‘Destination Heaven’ Starring Harry Lennix As God  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/great-american-pure-flix-launching-new-faith-drama-harry-lennix-god-1235873403/
I like Lennix. But....

     Series in development
  Ethan Hawke To Exec Produce ‘Happiness Falls’ Series Based On Angie Kim’s Bestseller With Eye To Star  (April 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/ethan-hawke-boards-happiness-falls-film-with-eye-to-star-1235875002/
 ["'Happiness Falls' is a tale of a family in crisis when a father goes missing, forcing them to question everything they thought they knew about him and each other."]
Again, would much rather see this as a movie...

Stars Collective Takes Film/TV Rights To Shawn M. Warner’s YA Bestseller ‘Leigh Howard And The Ghosts Of Simmons-Pierce Manor’  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/leigh-howard-and-the-ghosts-of-simmons-pierce-manor-acquired-stars-collective-1235873448/
 ["Described as R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps meets Nancy Drew, Leigh Howard is the tale of a teenage girl who teams up with a ghost with multiple personalities to solve the mystery of her parents’ murder. The book was published by Black Rose Writing in November 2022."]
      Ratings
  CBS Scripted Premieres Stay Strong In MP35 As ‘Tracker’ Continues To Lead The Charge  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-scripted-premieres-viewership-mp35-tracker-1235876605/
So many people around here love "Tracker"!!  [/snark]

‘3 Body Problem’ Invades Netflix Top 10 At No. 1; ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Makes Bid For Most Popular List  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/3-body-problem-avatar-the-last-airbender-netflix-most-popular-viewership-1235874172/
I'm still hearing it is massively underperforming...

‘Road House’ Rocks Prime Video With Record-Breaking 50 Million Global Viewers  (April 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/road-house-viewership-prime-video-1235872899/
Still haven't gotten to this, and may not for a while...

     The business of TV
  Bob Iger Says Netflix-Like Password Sharing Plan On Disney+ Will Start In June ­Update  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/disney-streaming-password-sharing-netflix-bob-iger-1235818554/
What - No news on how Disney cheated their way through the shareholder Board vote?!
I do love how this means that Disney is totally f**ked going forward! - They are DOOMED!!  [ha ha ha ha]

‘The King Of Queens’ Streaming On Paramount+ & Pluto TV As Part Of New Deal Between Sony Pictures TV & Paramount Global  (April 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-king-of-queens-sony-pictures-television-licensing-paramount-plus-pluto-1235875585/
OK.

     Obituaries
  Adrian Schiller Dies: Star Of Netflix Drama ‘The Last Kingdom’ Was 60 (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/adrian-schiller-dead-the-last-kingdom-was-60-obituary-1235877272/
Bummer. Though I am surprised he was just 60 - he seemed older on "The Last Kingdom"...

Cole Brings Plenty Dies: ‘1923’ Actor Was 27  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/cole-brings-plenty-dead-1923-actor-1235877208/
No explanation in terms of cause of death...

Joe Flaherty Dies: ‘SCTV’ And ‘Freaks And Geeks’ Actor Was 82  (April 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/joe-flaherty-dead-1235873973/
:(
Though 82 is a pretty good run.

     Other News
  ‘The Traitors’ Knocks ‘Masked Singer’ Off Its Global Formats Domination Perch After Four Years  (April 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-traitors-masked-singer-format-of-the-year-k7-1235876817/
[roll]

Pat Sajak’s Final ‘Wheel Of Fortune’ Episode Air Date Set  (April 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/pat-sajak-final-wheel-of-fortune-episode-air-date-1235877034/
 [Friday, June 7]
[sobbing hysterically!]