Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"

Sujet : Re: Jimmy Kimmel Calls USA "Filthy And Disgusting" After Traveling to Japan: "We Are Like Hogs Compared to the Japanese"
De : gmsingh (at) *nospam* email.com (trotsky)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 07. Apr 2024, 10:58:32
On 4/6/24 1:42 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <17c3b8985ee0397b$2654$3081049$52d51861@news.newsdemon.com>,
  moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:

On 4/5/2024 6:51 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 13:07:05 -0400
moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:

On 4/5/2024 11:32 AM, Rhino wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2024 23:04:49 -0400
moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:

On 4/4/2024 9:21 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Thu, 04 Apr 2024 13:02:19 -0700
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

In article <uumno6$p8sf$2@dont-email.me>,
     Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net> wrote:

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel said he's looking at America in a
new light after a recent visit to Japan.

The 56-year-old said his trip abroad made him realize that the
U.S. is unsanitary compared to the land of the rising sun.

"After traveling to Japan, I realize that this place, this USA
we're always chanting about, is a filthy and disgusting
country," he said during his monologue on Monday night's
episode of "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

I agree with him. My trip to Tokyo was an eye-opener. I've never
seen a city so clean and beautiful with pleasant, polite, happy
people everywhere you go. Its only drawback was that-- of all the
places I've been around the world-- it's one of the harder cities
to get around and function in if you don't speak the language. I
thought at the time that if I spoke and read Japanese, I'd
consider living in Tokyo for good if I could.

One of my friends and his wife taught English in Japan for a
couple of years back in the early 80s. He assured me that it's
really easy and logical to get around in Japan via public
transit, especially rail. I don't think he had any Japanese when
he got there, although they certainly learned some during their
two years there. Even years later, he could recite all the stops
between Tokyo and the city where they worked, which was two or
three hours away from Tokyo.
Coming back to the shit-pile Los Angeles has become in just the
last 10 short years was very disheartening.

It's no surprise it would be especially noticeable to Kimmel,
whose show's home is in an old Masonic temple right across
Hollywood Blvd from the Chinese Theater and the
Hollywood-and-Highland Complex, where fentanyl addicts stagger
around like WALKING DEAD extras, crime is out of control,
vagrants tents and trash mountains abound, and dead bodies lying
on the sidewalk are a routine occurrence.

Coming back to that from Japan would be quite a contrast indeed.

Kimmel went on to describe how he used to believe that while the
U.S. had "areas for improvement," it was mostly ahead in terms
of cleanliness compared to most of the rest of the world.

"I go to Europe, and there are dirt holes where plumbing is
supposed to be. I hold my breath, and I go, 'I'm glad I'm not
one of these people,' and then I go back home," he continued.
Kimmel went on to praise the cleanliness of the bathrooms in
Japan.

"The bathrooms in Tokyo and Kyoto are cleaner than our operating
rooms here. Everywhere you go the bathrooms are clean, they
don't smell bad, they have those toilets that wash you from the
inside out," he marveled. Kimmel also joked that even truck stop
restrooms were "cleaner than Jennifer Garner's teeth -- the
cleanest. Beautiful."

"And it's not just the bathrooms," the host added. "People carry
their own trash. There are no garbage cans," Kimmel said,
mentioning the 1995 terrorist incident when a man put poisonous
sarin gas in trash cans.

Yes! I noticed that. I had to carry around an empty Coke can for
several hours because there was nowhere on the street to put it.

This resulted in the country removing public trash receptacles
and Japanese citizens adapting to dispose of their own garbage.

"They're like OK, no more trash cans, everybody clean up after
yourselves. And guess what -- they clean up after themselves!
They bring their garbage to their houses," he added.

"It's like the whole country is Disneyland, and we're living at
Six Flags," Kimmel said. "I've been home 36 hours, I have never
felt dirtier. We are like hogs compared to the Japanese. I can't
imagine what they must think of us. 'Oh, the garbage people.
Yes, the Americans. Garbage.'"

[NYC was much cleaner before several Demcorats were running it,
Jimmy-Boy.]

There may be an easy solution to littering. Many years ago, when I
was just a pup, I remember an episode of Wonderful World of Disney
where they talked about the state of littering in some historic
places and/or national parks, perhaps Mt. Rushmore or Yellowstone.
They had a little jingle going as they showed these scenes and I
still remember a snippet of it to this day: "Litterbug, litterbug,
don't you care? Making a mess everywhere!" I don't think I've
littered since I saw that, although there were probably a couple
of other moments along the way that reinforced that. I just hold
on to any litter I generate - or put it in my pocket - until I
get to a garbage can. I barely even think about it: it's just
programmed into my brain.

I suppose you could characterize that as brain-washing and I
suppose it's true but it worked and I can't find anything evil in
it, unlike the sort of brain-washing/indoctrination so many
schools do today.

Why don't we do more of this? The world wouldn't suddenly be clean
and tidy overnight but it would probably clean up gradually if we
were all persuaded to litter less.

People litter because other people litter ...preventable only by
police.

Nonsense. I just told you how I was persuaded not to litter. No
police involvement at all.

Now you just need a reason to believe you're not the Western
exception.

And you need a reason to believe the police will actually enforce
littering bylaws when they don't even respond to much more serious
crimes. Just a few weeks ago, Toronto police officers were telling
people to leave their doors unlocked and to leave their car keys near
the door so that car thieves could more easily steal their cars without
having to threaten family members for them! Does that sound like a
police force that will charge people for LITTERING? I don't know what
planet you "progressives" are living on but I wish you'd stay on THEIR
Usenet and stay the hell off ours!

When you come up for air, notice that -- barring insurrection -- a
police force will do as it's instructed.  If a community wants it badly
enough, littering (in a defined area) can be brought to a sudden halt.
 Which is one of the reasons Japan is so cleaned.
You mispelled "clean."
Littering gets you a
5-year prison sentence.