Re: TV Judge Issues Restraining Order; Threatens Arrest Warrant

Sujet : Re: TV Judge Issues Restraining Order; Threatens Arrest Warrant
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 09. Apr 2024, 03:57:51
On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:17:25 -0000 (UTC)
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Mon, 08 Apr 2024 22:14:45 +0000 BTR1701 <no_email@invalid.invalid>:

This case is amazing at all levels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMEL6_b15o

First, we have a guy suing his neighbor because she
password-protected her wi-fi signal, which he had been leeching off
for free, claiming he's entitled to it because the wi-fi waves are
in the air which belongs to everyone.

When I was doing DSL support, I once took a call from a guy who
needed help configuring his new router. That was a very routine call
but when we got to the part of setting a password, he said he didn't
want to encrypt his signal. I warned him that he was opening himself
up to neighbours stealing his WiFi and that stealing WiFi was a
felony in some jurisdictions. He said he already knew that because
he was a police officer and that it was a class D felony (I think
that's the specific class he cited) in his state, which I believe was
California. I finished helping him configure his router without
encrypting the signal. I think he was the ONLY customer I ever had
that wanted his signal unencrypted in nearly 4 years!

A Class D felony for use of an unencrypted radio signal? I don't think
so.

. . .
Assuming he actually was a police officer and not just a poser, I
figured he'd know better than me.

Besides, I might be misremembering that it was Class D; it was 20 years
ago after all. Or maybe he said Class D misdemeanour.

Are these "classes" of felonies consistent across all the states or
would a Class D in California be completely different from a Class D in
Illinois?

--
Rhino