Re: TV Judge Issues Restraining Order; Threatens Arrest Warrant

Sujet : Re: TV Judge Issues Restraining Order; Threatens Arrest Warrant
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 09. Apr 2024, 16:07:26
On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 02:12:56 -0000 (UTC)
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:17:25 -0000 (UTC) Adam H. Kerman
<ahk@chinet.com>:
Mon, 08 Apr 2024 22:14:45 +0000 BTR1701
<no_email@invalid.invalid>:

This case is amazing at all levels.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMEL6_b15o

First, we have a guy suing his neighbor because she
password-protected her wi-fi signal, which he had been leeching
off for free, claiming he's entitled to it because the wi-fi
waves are in the air which belongs to everyone.

When I was doing DSL support, I once took a call from a guy who
needed help configuring his new router. That was a very routine
call but when we got to the part of setting a password, he said he
didn't want to encrypt his signal. I warned him that he was
opening himself up to neighbours stealing his WiFi and that
stealing WiFi was a felony in some jurisdictions. He said he
already knew that because he was a police officer and that it was
a class D felony (I think that's the specific class he cited) in
his state, which I believe was California. I finished helping him
configure his router without encrypting the signal. I think he was
the ONLY customer I ever had that wanted his signal unencrypted in
nearly 4 years!

A Class D felony for use of an unencrypted radio signal? I don't
think so.

. . .

Assuming he actually was a police officer and not just a poser, I
figured he'd know better than me.

There's no crime! There are laws against breaking into computer
networks, but if there are no accounts and no passwords, there's no
crime! It's a radio signal. It's in your home.

Are you being ironic/sarcastic right now or do you actually believe
that to be true? It sounds like you're saying that the defense offered
by the fake defendant in the fake trial that BTR posted at the start of
the thread is legit.

Having said that, I can't see any actual flaw in the legal reasoning of
what you're saying. No one can charge you for radio or TV signals
received over-the-air - at least in Canada and the US - although they
certainly charge a pretty penny for cable, satellite or SiriusXM.

Besides, I might be misremembering that it was Class D; it was 20
years ago after all. Or maybe he said Class D misdemeanour.

Are these "classes" of felonies consistent across all the states or
would a Class D in California be completely different from a Class D
in Illinois?

I have no clue.

--
Rhino