Re: Police shooting videos leaves questions unanswered

Sujet : Re: Police shooting videos leaves questions unanswered
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 10. Apr 2024, 19:26:57
On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 10:05:24 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
Civilian Office of Police Accountability (a city agency that investigates
police) just released video of a shooting on March 21 on the west side
of Chicago. The driver of a vehicle pulled over for a traffic stop,
a 26 year old man, is dead. Police say he shot first (not clear from
provided video); four officers fired. One police officer was hit in the
forearm. There is video from a neighbor's surveillance camera that
implies that the officer, on the passenger side of the vehicle, was hit.

The office recommends relieving police officers who shot at the man of
powers during the investigation. I think that means full suspension with
pay, not just desk duty.

Now, for a traffic stop, the vehicle was surrounded by multiple tacticle
officers. This makes no sense.

And yet it happens.

Way back when I was in high school people thought it was funny to peel the
little update tag off other peoples license plates. I was on my way home
from school and some cop noticed the missing tag. He not only pulled me
over he called in and I found myself surrounded by three police cars and
six policeman.  Who have collared a teenage kid in a 71 gremlin a block
from his parents house.

Now I knew about the tag but back in those days the only place you could
get a replacement tag was halfway to where BTR lives and it was only open
during banking hours on weekdays. So I had to write for a replacement tag
or skip a day of school. I had a copy of the request for the replacement
tag in my glove box, and in fact it had been processed and the tag was on
the way.

Sounds like what happened to a friend of mine back in college. He was
driving home when he found himself pulled over with multiple cops with
guns pulled out and pointed at him in the car because his car matched
one used in a bank robbery. On the hand I got stopped heading home
from college by a state trooper so I got out of the car and waited
against the back of the car while he did what ever in the car. When he
got out he asked for my ID and talked to me for a minute explaining
why he stopped me (a similar car was involved in some crime) and took
a minute to mention I had a tail light that wasn't fully working (a
bulb had gone out) and then sent me on my way.

So now I have an embarrassed and very angry police Sergeant on my hands and
five Junior cops snickering at him.

He orders me to skip school and drive across town illegally since I don’t
have tags and try to get a tag from DMV which they aren’t going to do
because they’ve already mailed me my tag.

Imagine if you had been stopped by another cop while doing that.

Phoenix police can be real assholes. It’s one of the reasons I moved to
Scottsdale.