Re: Censorship of books in libraries

Sujet : Re: Censorship of books in libraries
De : weberm (at) *nospam* polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 11. Apr 2024, 21:38:05
In article <uv8sua$1o05o$2@dont-email.me>, fredp1571@gmail.com wrote:
On 4/9/24 4:55 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:38:49 -0400
moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:
On 4/9/2024 2:43 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
"Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:

Is the left or the right winning the race to the bottom on
censorship?

Once again, I make the distinction between curriculum and books in
school libraries. The former might be subject to complaints of
inappropriateness by parents as it's mandatory. But reading books
in school libraries is optional so leave book selection to
profession librarians and not parents.

That's not the law in Missouri. Librarians can be subject to fines
and imprisonment for sexually explicit material on bookshelves.

A graphic novel adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale was withdrawn
due to one panel depicting a rape. The high school library decided
it was in violation of the law and withdrew it.

Looks like the right is winning. What books are censored on the
left?

I've posted an article at least three times in the last month
detailing a whole raft of conservative books censored by the Left.
I can't be bothered to go look it up again for a fourth re-post.

I'm not looking it up, either, but iirc it was the instance of a
liberal bookstore that promoted itself as carrying books of all
persuasions, then caved to the censorious demands of clientele.  At
the very least, the left-leaning store voiced briefly the virtues of
free speech ...which heresy a right-leaning store would've strangled
at birth.

Bullshit!!! Flagrant, unadulterated BULLSHIT!

Those of us on the right have a LOT more respect for free speech than
most of those on the left. We aren't the ones that are bending over
backwards to suppress free speech like the recent Hate Speech law in
Scotland that J. K. Rowling has so bravely challenged or the Online
Harms Bill that Trudeau is trying to inflict on us in this country.

Oh, for fuck's sake.  Banning books, banning drag shows, banning rainbow
flags, banning the words "climate change", Don't Say Gay bill, trying to
force Disney because they didn't like what they said.

None of which have happened.

Big Lie noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

--
"Rhino, when do I say things I *can't* back up with citations of
fact? Go ahead... go and find something I stated as fact that you