Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-13 (Saturday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 14. Apr 2024, 21:25:57
On 4/14/2024 11:59 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
Ian J. Ball <ijball@mac.invalid> wrote:
This weekend I need to try to get through a pile of work, and yesterday
I was variously very successful, and not successful at all! at it.

So, I managed to get through...:

So, what did you watch?
 Hey, thanks for asking!
 CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE ❤️
This is like the fifth thing they offered me free on Apple TV+.
 The preview had Emma Stone who I like so I gave it a try. It stars Steve
Carell, who I’m not a fan of and I was about to click it off when they said
Marissa Tomei. OK, I’m in.
 Carell plays an average guy who has a useless slut wife who is cheating on
him so of course she gets the house and the kids and he gets the efficiency
apartment. While he’s out complaining in a bar about his life, a womanizer
Takes pity on him and decides to teach him how to get women. It turns out
the secret is to wear a smaller size suit and not treat them very well.
Works every time.
 So there’s some funny stuff, especially Tomei.
 But it gets weird as it turns out that everybody is connected unknowingly
to everybody else about three different ways. many of which seem extremely
unlikely for no one to know about. And there is reveal after reveal after
reveal. So many reveals I can’t even keep track of them. Mr. Google says
there’s a big reveal in the third act in about Correll’s youngest daughter
and it’s the first time her face is shown, but I can’t figure out what that
reveal is nor have I been able to track it down.
 There’s just no way everybody could be connected in multiple ways like this
in a town bigger than Mayberry.
 So some good casting, especially in the lesser roles, some good
performances, especially in the lesser roles, lots and lots and lots of hot
girls, no nudity, and an especially happy ending for the youngest son.  The
real life version of which can be seen. Thanks to Mr. Google, even though
it’s not in the movie.
 But the plot is completely implausible, and it helps that all the
characters have unlimited funds, so they don’t have that to worry about.
 It starts with Emma Stone, thinking Conan O’Brien is hot, which is
disgusting, and Lisa Lapira mocking him for looking like a carrot, which
was good. But then these characters disappear for the next 90 minutes!
 Fred Bob is on the fence.

I saw it when it first came out, and I liked it at the time, but I don't remember it.
I watched:
Psycho (4K disc) 1960 movie directed by Alfred Hitchcok and starring Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, everyone's favorite American Psycho. The movie holds up very well.
Psycho II (4K disc) 1983 sequel which finds Perkins getting released from a mental hospital and trying to move on with his life, but the family of his one of his victims is determined to drive him insane.  One small flaw in their plan is he's *already* insane!  I think this is probably the first Psycho movie I ever saw when I was a kid.
Psycho III (4K disc) 1986 sequel directed by Perkins which finds Perkins still trying to live his life but his urge to occasionally dress up like his mother and murder people keeps getting in the way.  I don't know what the popular opinion was at the time, but this is actually a very watchable background noise type of movie.  I especially like the scene when Perkins is in killer mode but takes the time to straighten a picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Typvz53Ec&t=22s
Psycho IV: The Beginning (4K disc) 1990 made for TV sequel which has Anthony Perkins back once again as everyone's favorite American Psycho. But this is also a prequel which details Norman Bates backstory (young Norman played by Henry Thomas) and details his life with his abusive mother (Olivia Hussey from Romeo and Juliet).  Not bad.
Law & Order: Special Victims - "Children of Wolves" - Mariska Hargitay directs this episode which was all over the place.  I'm not even going to try and summarize it!
Law & Order: Organized Crime - "Semper Fi" - Stabler, who I think is supposed to be a New York City cop, goes undercover in what didn't appear to be New York City.  I get if you're undercover you're not confined to your city limits, but he didn't appear to be anywhere near New York city!  But I've never been to New York, maybe it's full of forests and farmland.