Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow

Sujet : Re: [OT] Chechnya bans music that is too fast or too slow
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 15. Apr 2024, 16:48:25
On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 06:14:41 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

On Apr 14, 2024 at 7:27:23 PM PDT, "shawn"
<nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:05:33 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

In one of the weirder cultural laws I've ever heard of, the
government of Chechnya (which is a region of Russia, not a
separate country) has legislated that the tempo of all music
played in the country must be in the range of 80 to 116 beats per
minute.

Adam Neely points out why this is decidedly "problematic":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q811R6YsM0s [10 minutes]

Yeah, I remember hearing about this back a few weeks. As I recall
even the national anthem doesn't fit with this new standard.

What if you just cut the time signature from 4/4 to 2/2, and the cuts
the BPM in half, too.

Would it be a defense in court to say, "No, your honor, the state is
lying. They're claiming I was rocking out to Tschaikowsky's 4th
Symphony at 180 BPM but the half note had the beat, so it was really
only 90 BPM!"

That is the essence of many of Neely's observations about this bizarre
new rule. He even enlists a Canadian music professor in the discussion
to get an expert opinion.

--
Rhino