Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-11 (Thursday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-11 (Thursday)
De : atropos (at) *nospam* mac.com (BTR1701)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 19. Apr 2024, 22:22:52
In article <uvsebp$2hudt$1@dont-email.me>,
 Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

On 4/15/2024 7:35 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
On Apr 12, 2024 at 10:12:56 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

On 4/12/2024 7:28 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
  On 4/12/2024 5:49 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

  What did you watch?

  A 'How the Universe Works' rerun about dark matter and dark energy.
  Basically we haven't got a clue what either one actually is.

Civil War (theatrical) New war movie written and directed by Alex
Garland. The movie is set in the near future where the United States is
at the end of a brutal civil war. The plot follows 4 journalist as the
make their way from New York to D.C. for what they hope will be an
interview with the President. I went in not knowing what to expect
other than it was getting great reviews. I was taken aback by just how
intense this movie is. It's like the opening of Saving Private Ryan
mixed with the opening Farm House scene in Inglorious Basterds or pretty
much any Tarantino flick where you are on the edge of your seat waiting
to see who will die. This is almost non stop action and when the action
does stop, then it becomes an edge of your seat thriller. I think this
movie probably gave me PTSD! I also noticed, and I almost never notice
this, but the sound mix on this movie is one of the best I've ever heard
in a theater. This movie is definitely one for the theater, in the
biggest screen with the best sound possible.

Saw this last night. It was a lot better than I was expecting, especially
given the protagonists were journalists. I was expecting long preachy
monologues about 'progressive' politics. There was literally none of that
in this movie and it was quite a refreshing change.

It was also a lot more action-oriented than I expected. I figured there'd
be a few action set pieces but not the constant barrage from one scene to
the next.

In the scene with the soldiers burying the bodies in a mass grave,
couldn't figure out why Dunst didn't just tell her husband to let them
all go or he'd be sleeping on the couch for a long time.

He was a last minute replacement when the original actor pulled out.  I
had completely forgot the two were married until after the movie.

It's still weird seeing Ron Swanson as the head of the entire massive
United States bureaucracy.

As for the ending, it was all very exciting and all, but completely
unrealistic.

SPOILERS:

Ba gur jnl bhg bs gur gurngre, gur tveysevraq jnf nfxvat zr jul gur
cerfvqrag jnf uvqvat oruvaq uvf qrfx va gur Biny Bssvpr; jbhyqa'g gur
Frperg Freivpr unir gnxra uvz qbja vagb gur ohaxre?

Jryy, lrf naq ab. Pregnvayl ol gung cbvag, gur HFFF jbhyqa'g unir whfg
orra pebhpuvat va gur Biny Bssvpr jvgu fznyy nezf jnvgvat gb svtug bss
na ragver zvyvgnel qvivfvba. Ohg gur CRBP vf whfg sbe n penfu rinphngvba
jura lbh bayl unir zvahgrf gb trg gb fnsrgl. Fbzrguvat yvxr 9-11 be gur
fpranevb va BYLZCHF UNF SNYYRA.

Ernyvfgvpnyyl va guvf fvghngvba, gur cerfvqrag jbhyq unir orra rinphngrq
gb Zbhag Jrngure orsber gur rarzl sbeprf rira tbg pybfr gb QP naq vg
jbhyq gnxr n qverpg uvg sebz n ahxr gb trg gb uvz bapr gubfr qbbef ner
frnyrq. Gurer'f rabhtu sbbq naq jngre va gurer gb ynfg 15 lrnef. Ybatre
vs ur qbrfa'g oevat gur jubyr ragbhentr nybat. Naq ybgf bs urnil beqanapr
va gurer, gbb. Pregnvayl zber guna n srj yvtug znpuvar thaf.

I think there are a couple of explanations for this.
Sebz gur fgneg ur jnf oebnqpnfgvat cebcntnaqn nobhg ubj uvf fvqr jnf
jvaavat gur jne. Ur znl unir oryvrirq uvf bja yvrf fb ehaavat naq uvqvat
va n zbhagnva jbhyq or n irel ivfvoyr naq gnatvoyr cebbs gung ur unq ybfg.

Nyfb, gurl fnvq gur zvyvgnel fheeraqrerq.  Cerfhznoyl gung vapyhqrq
jubrire jnf va pbageby bs Zbhag Jrngure.  Fb rira vs ur jnagrq gb tb gb
Zbhag Jrngure, ur pbhyqa'g.

Naq rira va gur erny jbeyq jura tbireazragf snyy gur yrnqre vf bsgra
qenttrq bhg bs gur cerfvqragvny cnynpr, be fbzr arneol cynpr gurl syrq.
Abg fbzr ohaxre, onggyr fuvc be fhoznevar.  Gurl fgnl va gurve
erfcrpgvir pncvgny pvgl hagvy gur ovggre raq.

Rkprcg jvgu bhe flfgrz, gur cerfvqrag qbrfa'g unir n pubvpr. Vs gur
Frperg Freivpr oryvrirf vg'f arprffnel, gurl qba'g nfx. Gurl whfg qb.

Yvxr Purarl fnvq ba 9-11 jura ur jnf rinphngrq sebz gur Juvgr Ubhfr
pbzcyrk gb Zbhag Jrngure, "Zl bssvpr qbbe ohefg bcra naq zl Frperg
Freivpr qrgnvy ena va naq chyyrq zr bhg bs zl punve. Zl srrg qvqa'g
gbhpu gur tebhaq hagvy jr bhgfvqr gur pnef."