[OT] Ontario Provincial Police beginning mandatory breathalyzer use on EVERY traffic stop

Sujet : [OT] Ontario Provincial Police beginning mandatory breathalyzer use on EVERY traffic stop
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 03. May 2024, 04:59:01
I was very surprised to see this video just now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmAMf_ALVKU

According to the video, this law has been in effect since 2018 but is
only beginning to be enforced now.

There are obvious civil rights implications in this so I expect this
will be challenged right up to the Supreme Court. (But according to the
comments, a similar law has been in effect in Saskatchewan for a while
and has been ruled constitutional in every court that has considered
the matter. However, it's not clear if it has been found constitutional
by even the Saskatchewan Supreme Court, let alone the federal Supreme
Court. )

Hmmm. Since marijuana has been legal in this country for several years,
will they also force every driver stopped by the police to go to a
hospital for the test that determines if the driver is high? If yes,
that's going to cause some real congestion in the hospitals. If no, why
not? This seems to show distinct discrimination against people impaired
by alcohol versus those impaired by pot.

For what it's worth, I'm not remotely worried about getting charged as
a result of this new enforcement since I don't drink or use drugs. But
I've definitely got concerns about the civil rights aspects,
particularly the presumption of innocence getting thrown out the
window. I'm also perplexed at how this got passed in 2018 and I'm only
hearing about it now, on the first day that it is in effect.

--
Rhino