Re: Weigel METV news

Sujet : Re: Weigel METV news
De : dtravel (at) *nospam* sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 04. May 2024, 18:13:18
On 5/4/2024 6:38 AM, Nyssa wrote:
Adam H. Kerman wrote:

Everything about this deal tells you why perpetual
copyright serves the interest of copyright holders only,
the public be damned. The big studios shut down short
subject animation seven and a half decades ago, yet it's
all still under copyright.

There is a statement that these short subject animation
libraries are all owned by Warner Brothers Discovery, with
the exception of what Disney owns.

Weigel Broadcasting will set up a cartoon network, METV
Toons, effective June 25. Will they maintain the original
aspect ratio? Will the image be shrunk down even if they
do?

Will they censor?

Bob Bergen, a voice actor who has provided voices in
modern versions of WB cartoons, will host. The article
doesn't say what the broadcast subchannel will be or what
programming it replaces.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/movies-and-tv/2024/05/02/metv-toons-
cartoon-channel-weigel-warner-bros-discovery-chicago
 I'm wondering why none of these nostalgia subchannels
have glommed onto the old live-action short subjects
that were included in the movie-going experience along
with the animated cartoons and main feature films.
 Besides the obvious Three Stooges shots, there are a
number of other series of shorts featuring comedy actors
of the 30s and 40s that would be something new (and
funny) for audiences to watch. At usually ~15-20 minutes
each, that would leave the network plenty of space to
add in commercials.
 I remember these being shown from in the 50s and 60s on
local TV stations, usually in the afternoons (after school
hours) or weekends as fillers.
 Nyssa, who wouldn't mind seeing some of the oldies but
goodies again since they don't even seem to appear on
bargain bin DVDs

Massively politically incorrect by modern standards comedy shorts....
--
I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky dirty old man.