Re: TV news for April 28-May 4, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for April 28-May 4, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. May 2024, 00:39:58
On 5/4/24 2:32 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

     ABC news
  Nicholas Alexander Chavez Confirms He’s Exiting ‘General Hospital’ In Message To Fans  (May 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/nicholas-alexander-chavez-confirms-general-hospital-exit-spencer-1235904260/
No surprise there.
Honestly, I'm more upset that Avery Pohl (Esme) left the show - I really hope she lands somewhere and doesn't just disappear, as so many of those who leave Lifetime and the soaps do afterwards.  :/

Ryan Murphy’s ABC Drama ‘Dr. Odyssey’ Adds Sean Teale  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ryan-murphy-abc-drama-dr-odyssey-sean-teale-cast-1235902642/
Ryan Murphy show = NO.

     CBS news
  Shemar Moore Talks ‘S.W.A.T’ Finale & Possible Return Of Kenny Johnson And Alex Russell  (May 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/shemar-moore-swat-finale-return-kenny-johnson-alex-russell-1235903831/
That told us nothing, except it's likely that neither will be back as main cast.

‘Blue Bloods’ Future Is Sealed: The Long-Running Series Will Wrap For Good In December  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/blue-bloods-remains-canceled-series-will-wrap-in-december-1235901882/
DUH!

CBS’ Amy Reisenbach On New Long-Term Development Strategy: “Pilot Season Is Probably Dead For Us”  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-amy-reisenbach-development-strategy-season-dead-1235902912/
Well, that's dumb.

CBS Execs Address Cancellations & Whether We Could See More Of ‘So Help Me Todd,’ ‘CSI: Vegas’ & ‘NCIS: Hawai’i’  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-execs-address-cancellations-so-help-me-todd-csi-vegas-ncis-hawaii-1235901895/
I'll save you the trouble: All 3 are *dead* dead.

‘Fire Country’ Spinoff ‘Sheriff Country’ Starring Morena Baccarin Ordered To Series By CBS For 2025-26 Season  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/fire-country-spinoff-sheriff-country-series-order-morena-baccarin-cbs-1235902599/
Morena earns a steady paycheck!!

CBS 2024-25 Schedule: ‘Tracker’ Shifts, ‘NCIS: Origins’ & ‘Georgie & Mandy’ Succeed ‘Hawai’i’ & ‘Young Sheldon’, ‘The Amazing Race’ Held  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-fall-2024-25-schedule-1235901885/
Tracker at 8pm means I might actually watch it sometimes, esp. if Lifetime stops doing new movies on Sunday nights.

CBS Teases New Series ‘Matlock,’ ‘NCIS: Origins’ & ‘Georgie & Mandy’s First Marriage’  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-matlock-ncis-origins-georgie-and-mandys-first-marriage-teasers-1235902764/
I could not be *less* interested in these.

‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Brings Back Popular Actor [Kimberlin Brown] In Shocking Reversal: “I Didn’t See This Coming, Quite Honestly”  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-brings-back-sheila-carter-kimberlin-brown-1235898567/
WEAK bait-and-switch!!

     CW news
  CW Affiliates In Chicago & Two Other Markets Switch To Nexstar-Owned Stations  (May 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cw-affiliates-chicago-nexstar-stations-local-tv-1235901269/
Gee, who didn't see this coming?!

     NBC news
  ‘Night Court’ Renewed For Season 3 By NBC, Episode Count Revealed  (May 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/night-court-renewed-season-nbc-episode-count-1235903785/
YaY! (And I think I beat Robin!!  :>  )

Nancy Travis & Felix Avitia Join ‘Grosse Pointe Garden Society’ NBC Pilot  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/nancy-travis-felix-avitia-grosse-pointe-garden-society-nbc-pilot-1235898721/
Will likely check this out if it's picked up.

     Cable channel news
  Nicole Brown Simpson Lifetime Documentary Gets Premiere Date & Trailer (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/nicole-brown-simpson-lifetime-documentary-premiere-date-trailer-1235902444/
Nope.

PBS Masterpiece Sets Third TV Adaptation Of ‘The Forsyte Saga’; Cast Includes BAFTA-Winner Francesca Annis & ‘Doctor Who’ Star Millie Gibson (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-forsyte-saga-adaptation-pbs-masterpiece-francesca-annis-millie-gibson-1235899424/
It's got a good cast (incl. Eleanor Tomlinson)...

HBO Dropping ‘Last Week Tonight With John Oliver’ Season 1 Episodes On YouTube With Seasons 2-8 Coming Soon  (April 28)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/hbo-last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-season-1-episodes-youtube-1235898176/
I wish they'd just drop the show, *period*.

     Streaming service news--Amazon Freeve
  Amazon Freevee Developing Medical Procedural From Adam Sussman & Mark Perez  (May 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/amazon-freevee-medical-procedural-adam-sussman-mark-perez-1235901177/
 ["Amazon Freevee has put in development a medical drama series from Adam Sussman (12 Monkeys) and Mark Perez (Game Night). Co-written and executive produced by Sussman and Perez, the Untitled Alternative Medical Drama is a medical procedural following doctors that utilize non-traditional approaches to solve unique cases."]
Come on, Amazon - it's time to throw in the towel on Freevee.

     Streaming service news--Max
  ‘And Just Like That…’ Adds Rosie O’Donnell To Season 3 Cast As Production Begins  [Max]  (May 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/and-just-like-that-cast-rosie-odonnell-season-3-1235901743/
Geezus, this show is a dumpster fire!!

     Streaming service news--Netflix
  ‘Emily In Paris’ Season 4 To Debut In Two Parts In August & September (May 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/emily-in-paris-season-4-two-parts-august-september-netflix-1235903573/
A show that would look great in 4k - too bad Netflix is apparently the worst streamer for 4k...
Oh, and F*ck Netflix.

‘Cobra Kai’ Final Season To Be Released In 3 Parts; First Premieres This Summer  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cobra-kai-final-season-6-premiere-date-part-one-1235901401/
F*ck Netflix.

‘Scooby-Doo’ Live-Action Series From Berlanti Productions Lands At Netflix With Major Commitment  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/scooby-doo-live-action-series-netflix-greg-berlanti-josh-appelbaum-scott-rosenberg-1235898662/
What an awful idea!

     Streaming service news--Paramount+
  Andy Garcia Joins Taylor Sheridan’s ‘Landman’ Series At Paramount+  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/andy-garcia-landman-taylor-sheridan-paramount-plus-1235902249/
OK?...

     Streaming service news--Prime Video
  ‘The Boys’: Amazon Series Ups The Ante In Season 4 Trailer  (May 3)
 https://deadline.com/video/the-boys-season-4-trailer-amazon/
Well, something to look forward to for summer, though I won't get to it until mid-July, after all the S4 episodes have dropped.

Robin Wright-Led ‘The Girlfriend’ Ordered To Series At Prime Video; Olivia Cooke, Laurie Davidson & Waleed Zuaiter Also Star  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/robin-wright-the-girlfriend-series-order-prime-video-1235902445/
 ["The drama follows Laura (Wright), someone who wants for nothing. She has a great career, a loving husband, Howard (Zuaiter), and her beloved only son, Daniel (Davidson). Cracks begin to show on the surface of her seemingly perfect life when Daniel brings home a girlfriend, Cherry (Cooke), who Laura becomes convinced isn’t who she says she is. Wanting to protect Daniel, Laura will do anything to prove he is being deceived. When things go from bad to deadly, the question is, is Cherry a manipulative social climber? Or is Laura paranoid and possessive? The truth is a matter of perspective…"]
Meh. Maybe as a movie. But...

‘The Wheel Of Time’ Team Breaks Down Season 2 Beach Scene, Teases “Bonkers” Season 3 Start [Prime Video]  (May 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-wheel-of-time-season-3-bonkers-prime-video-1235901120/
And when will season #3 be released?...

Amazon’s ‘Cross’ Gets Early Season 2 Renewal; Wes Chatham, Matthew Lillard & Jeanine Mason Cast  (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/alex-cross-renewed-season-2-wes-chatham-matthew-lillard-jeanine-mason-amazon-1235899349/
Cool.

     Series in development
  Ronda Rousey Turns Script Coverage At WME Into Screenwriting Job As She Will Adapt Script For Netflix Film Based On Her Memoirs  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ronda-rousey-script-netflix-film-memoirs-1235901677/
Going with Netflix was the wrong choice...

‘Emily The Criminal’ Series Adaptation In The Works From Legendary TV & Exec Producer Aubrey Plaza  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/emily-the-criminal-tv-series-aubrey-plaza-1235901890/
 ["The film follows Emily (Plaza), who is saddled with student debt and locked out of the job market due to a minor criminal record. Desperate for income, she takes a shady gig as a “dummy shopper,” buying goods with stolen credit cards supplied by a handsome and charismatic middleman named Youcef (Theo Rossi). Faced with a series of dead-end job interviews, Emily soon finds herself seduced by the quick cash and illicit thrills of black-market capitalism, and increasingly interested in her mentor Youcef. Together, they hatch a plan to bring their business to the next level in Los Angeles."]
Again - As a movie? Maybe. As a series? No

     Ratings
  Medical Dramas Take Over Nielsen Streaming List As ‘The Resident’ Jumps To No. 1, Followed By ‘Grey’s Anatomy’  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/the-resident-nielsen-streaming-viewership-greys-anatomy-1235903111/
[roll]

‘Knuckles’ Races To Streaming Record In Debut Weekend On Paramount+  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/knuckles-viewership-streaming-record-paramount-plus-1235902338/
It does feel like Paramount+ has almost cornered the kiddie streaming market. Outside of "Bluey", no one ever talks about Disney+.

CBS Poised To End 16th Consecutive TV Season As Most-Watched Broadcast Network, Setting Record Winning Streak  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/cbs-viewership-2023-2024-tv-season-record-tracker-1235901990/
"The king among the rubble" is hardly a title worth crowing about!

SAG-AFTRA Partners With Nielsen For Streaming Viewing Data  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/sag-aftra-nielsen-streaming-viewing-data-1235902149/
I thought this was interesting. I certainly wouldn't trust the streamers to give you accurate viewer numbers. But how can Nielsen possibly get accurate numbers themselves?!

‘Baby Reindeer’ Takes Over Netflix As Viewership For Richard Gadd’s Stalker Series Grows  (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/baby-reindeer-viewership-tops-netflix-1235900123/
Could not be less interested.

‘Fallout’ Commands Record Streaming Audience For Amazon  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/fallout-viewership-amazon-1235898761/
I guess it's deserved. It just wish it was more style over substance, and had a stronger premise (probably the video game's fault).

     The business of TV
  Media CEO Pay Mostly Up For 2023 Amid Strikes, Industry Contraction  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/ceo-salaries-2023-hollywood-media-1235900343/
Ha ha ha! These guys are so dumb - doing this sh*t just makes them bigger targets!

Sony, Apollo Make Formal Overture To Paramount Board To Discuss Potential $26 Billion Deal  (May 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/sony-apollo-make-overture-paramount-board-deal-1235902611/
It sounds like Paramount is going to pass on all M&A offers. (And slit their own throats in the process!!)

Discovery Networks Dropped By Fubo, Which Had Already Parted Ways With WarnerMedia Networks Back In 2020  (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/discovery-networks-dropped-fubo-warnermedia-carriage-dispute-1235900703/
Ha!
(Sidenote: It sounds like Fubo is less and less attractive as a service with every passing month.)

Roku Teams With NBCUniversal For Olympics Streaming Hub, Sets Measurement And Ad Pacts With iSpot And The Trade Desk  (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/roku-nbcuniversal-paris-olympics-ispot-the-trade-desk-1235899597/
Roku?! [shaking head]

NBA Rights Chase Will Reportedly Draw Hefty NBCUniversal Bid, With Amazon Looking To Lock League’s First National Streaming Deal  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/nba-rights-nbcuniversal-amazon-warner-bros-discovery-1235899201/
NBA on NBC, peeps!!

Peacock Raising Prices By $2 A Month This Summer, Its Second Hike In Two Years  (April 29)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/peacock-raising-prices-streaming-nbcuniversal-1235898599/
F*ckers. Luckily, I'm yearly subscribed, and I think I will renew just before the price hike hits!!  :)

     Obituaries
  Brian McCardie Dies: ‘Line Of Duty’ And ‘Time’ Actor Was 59  (April 30)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/brian-mccardie-dead-line-of-duty-time-actor-was-59-1235899552/
59 is too young.  :(

     Other News
  Walton Goggins Acknowledges “Tough Time” With ‘Justified’ Co-Star Timothy Olyphant “Towards The End” & Shares Update On Where They Stand Now  (May 1)
 https://deadline.com/2024/05/walton-goggins-tough-time-justified-timothy-olyphant-1235901331/
They're both tough to work with?! Who would have guessed?!!  ;p

Former HGTV Star Of ‘Flip It To Win It’ Off To Prison For Million-Dollar Fraud Scheme  (April 28)
 https://deadline.com/2024/04/former-hgtv-star-of-flip-it-to-win-it-imprisoned-fraud-scheme-1235897988/
Ha!