Re: Selected programming for May 8-10, 2024

Sujet : Re: Selected programming for May 8-10, 2024
De : nanoflower (at) *nospam* notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 05. May 2024, 13:58:56
On Sun, 5 May 2024 01:47:39 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

On Sun, 5 May 2024 02:48:51 -0400, Robin Miller
<robin.miller@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Wednesday, May 8

Streaming:

Dark Matter      [new]        (12:01 am, Apple TV+)

Adapted from Blake Crouch's acclaimed 2016 page-turner by the author
himself, Apple's sci-fi thriller centers on a Chicago physicist (Joel
Edgerton) who finds himself kidnapped and taken into a parallel
universe. There, he must find a way back to his own timeline to reunite
with his wife and son. Jennifer Connelly, Alice Braga, and Jimmi Simpson
also star. The first two (of nine) episodes stream today, with the rest
released once weekly through June 26.

Sounds interesting but I was so hoping it was a return of the SyFy
series of the same name.

In Limbo       [new to US; complete season 1]         (12:01 am, Hulu)

Nate (Bob Morley) is happy-go-lucky, with a good job and a loving
family. So, when he commits suicide, his best friend Charlie (Ryan Corr)
is hit by a wrecking ball of grief. The only thing harder than losing
Nate is when he returns the next day as a ghost! Nate's stuck in limbo
and needs Charlie's help in righting some wrongs before he can cross
into the afterlife. 2023 Australian series; six half-hour episodes.

Invasive      (movie)        (3:01 am, Tubi)

A young woman secretly residing in a billionaire’s lavish mansion
stumbles upon dark secrets, sparking a desperate fight for survival.
Listed in Tubi's press release for May, but no other information appears
to be available.

Doctor Who         (season 14 premiere)         (7 pm, Disney+)

Sex Education's Ncuti Gatwa is the Fifteenth Doctor as the long-running
British sci-fi series moves to Disney+ (outside of the UK) for its 14th
season. (Note that, per Russell T. Davies, the BBC and Disney consider
this season one of a "new" series.) He'll be joined by new companion
Ruby Sunday, played by Millie Gibson, though only for one season on a
solo basis—she'll be joined by Varada Sethu in season 15. Two episodes
stream today, followed by one per week each Friday.

So it is finally returning. Let's see just how this reboot turns out.
I wasn't so happy with the Christmas episode and with RTD's push for
DEI but hopefully he can counter that with good stories as he's shown
he is capable of writing them.

Thanks Robin.

OK, that’s interesting. Is the companion being replaced or augmented?

She is getting replaced. We don't know if she had signed on for one
season or if they ended up deciding she needed to be replaced after
that first season. Given that they are going from a blonde white woman
to a person of color it may tie back to that DEI focus, but I haven't
seen any firm information on just why the replacement is happening.
Though, truthfully, I haven't looked for any Doctor Who information
for months since I watched the Christmas episode.