Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-08 (Wednesday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-08 (Wednesday)
De : atropos (at) *nospam* mac.com (BTR1701)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 15. May 2024, 19:26:45
On May 9, 2024 at 10:06:08 AM PDT, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

On 5/9/2024 5:49 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
 My last "official" long workday until Fall. So I didn't get through much:

 soaps: DOOL - [roll] Every few years, DOOL does the same thing with its
 "teen scene" - they first introduce two main character teens, then soon
 after they will add a couple of mostly minor "recurring" teen characters
 as the main characters' besties. (So, no more than 4 teens total!)
 Wackiness ensues. Well, we're getting same thing now with Holly and
 NuTate - first they introduced Holly's bestie, who's hot for Tate. And
 in this episode, they introduce Tate's bestie. Of course, in a massive
 contrivance, Holly and Tate will now be taking the opposite's bestie to
 the Prom, rather than going together. [roll]
     Meanwhile, Sloan tells Melinda Trask about having to tell EJ the
 truth about the baby's paternity after drunken Leo tipped off EJ in the
 previous epie. EJ frantically tries to confirm the baby's paternity
 (with an off-screen Dr. Rolf!) - have they just forgotten about the DNA
 paternity test results that EJ shoved in the DiMera safe months ago?!
 Ava successfully holds off Clyde's demands for the ledger, claiming she
 still hasn't found it yet - but Clyde seems to have outsmarted Harris
 and Ava, potentially foiling their plans to capture him.

 It's Family Week on Wheel of Fortune, and the families in yesterday's
 Wheel ep were particularly annoying.

 Once again, I put "Chicago Med" on in the background, but paid it almost
 no attention.

 Chicago Fire - This was a dumb episode, that seemed like it belonged
 much more on Chicago P.D. than on Chicago Fire. (Heck! They didn't even
 fight a fire in the epie!!)
     Severide sees armed men enter the firehouse. They come in to steal a
 fire truck, but Severide sneaks aboard the truck before the men drive it
 off. They drive the truck to Indiana, and then change the truck's
 external decals so it looks like an Indiana fire truck. Of course, these
 guys are a bunch of EVOL!!1! white supremacist terrorist types, and not
 the much more likely terrorist types. Severide figures out a way to
 clandestinely contact the firehouse, alerting Cruz and the others.
 Somehow the cops - and these cops aren't even from the "P.D." show, and
 are instead a couple of randos, including Ritter's current boyfriend -
 and 51 figure out where the truck is and race to get to it. (Like the
 cops would ever let firefighters tag along on a clearly police matter
 like this!!) All the EVOL neo-nazi-type scum are taken down and Severide
 is rescued.
     Jocelyn Hudon was barely in this episode (it was said by Kidd and
 Violet that they did talk her into signing on with 51 full-time). Also,
 no Boden at all. And the new guy still has secrets, which causes the
 cops to suspect him of being an "inside-man" for the terrorists - but we
 still don't know the dude's secret yet!

 What did you watch?

This is a 2-day catch up.  I watched:

911 - "There Goes the Groom" - Chimney gets brain damage and starts to
act weird and hallucinate.  Meh!

X-Men '97 - (Disney+) This time to avoid the twitter spoilers I started
watching the episode first thing in the morning.  Then was promptly
spoiled while scrolling through twitter!  I'm not following these
people.  I'm not clicking on anything. It's just there, unavoidable
spoiler clips from the episode.  :-/

Survivor - "My Messy, Sweet Little Friend" - This group of castaways is
something else.  I love how Jeff has given up on them and is just
sitting back and watching the train wreck.

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (theatrical) - I caught an early
screening of this.  I'm still processing it, but my gut reaction is
"Wow!"  They knocked it out of the park with this one.  I reserve the
right to change or adjust my opinion, but this may be the best one yet.

I'm going to try and recap without any spoilers.

Fourth in the Apes reboot franchise, this one picks up right at the end
of the last movie then jumps ahead into the future where Apes rule the
world and humans are seen as dumb beasts.  The story follows a young
chimpanzee named Noa who is coming of age with his tribe.  He encounters
a human who is "cleverer than most" that is being hunted by a rival
group of apes.  These other apes are lead by Proimus Casar, who has
taken on the name and plans to forcefully unite all the Apes under his
rule.  I'll just leave it there.  This is a movie that may be best to go
in knowing as little as possible about what's going to happen.

For fans of the Apes franchise there is much to love including many
Easter eggs that only true fans would pick up on...
"Mama," "They are all called Nova."  And perhaps the best inside
reference, "Fort Wayne Indiana."  This movie almost works as a far
superior sequel to the 1968 movie.  With a few minor adjustments they
could have turned this into a true sequel to the 1968 movie.  And that
*might* be wear they are headed.  I think they have always been heading
there, they just haven't got there yet...

There is a lot to digest with the last one, and I really, really, hope
to see a sequel that picks up where this one left off.

Don't forget to watch the PLANET OF THE APES musical to round out your
viewing!

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1789027838294646784/pu/vid/avc1/496x270/bwZqlG7xWQU1KjG1.mp4?tag=12