Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-16 (Thursday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-16 (Thursday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 17. May 2024, 23:37:33
On 5/17/2024 8:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 5/17/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

What did you watch?
 I ran quite late at work yesterday, and didn't get home until about 7pm, so all I got through was:
 soaps: GH - Wed's ep. This was mostly a snooze, at it was the lead-up to Brook Lynn's and Chase's wedding, and basically everything was all lovey-dovey (e.g. Brooke Lynn and Tracy shared a nice moment together). But, at the end, Gregory started trying to officiate the wedding, but seemed to have an ALS attack - that was the cliffhanger.
 My Nanny Stole My Life (LMN) - I have to give them credit - they fooled me on this one. This played out for most of its run like it's exactly what you think it is (the ads even strongly implied it), but they throw a serious wrench into things at the end.
    I did not like that, for about the 20 minutes before the film's mid-point, the "heroine" in this one (Katerina Eichenberger) laid down and took it, when both before and after this she was so sure she was right about the nanny's (Caroline Codd) EVOL!!1! and that she wasn't crazy.
    I also didn't care for the obvious misdirection of the nanny taking on the heroine's *exact look* (why hide Codd's beautiful red hair under a wig?!!) - in every other Lifetime flick with this trope, when the "EVOL girl" takes on the exact same look as the heroine, it's a sure bet that she's a psycho killer out to "replace" the heroine!!
    Finally, the husband (Jonathan Stoddard) was such an unsupportive dope throughout this that I was hoping the heroine would dump his ass at the end!
    But, overall, I enjoyed this one, even if the ending did seem like a ginormous bait-and-switch.
  What did you watch?

This will be a multi-day catch up.  After clearing DVR space by deleting a lot of stuff including the entire season of "Elsbeth" unwatched, I watched:
Bridge to the Sun (TCM) - I didn't technically watch this.  It was one of the things I deleted to free up space.  But I did watch a few scenes as I skipped ahead in 5 minute jumps and was able to gleam pretty much the entire movie.  TCM ran a marathon of movies set in Japan.  I recorded all of them, but this is the only one I sampled before deleting.  It's a a 1961 drama about an American woman who marries the Japanese ambassador right before Pearl Harbor is bombed.  She then moves to Japan and lives out WWII with her husband and young daughter.  I watched probably less than 5 minutes of actual footage but I'm pretty sure I followed the entire movie with what I did see.  I got caught up and was tempted to watch the whole movie.
Law & Order - "In Harm's Way" - In what I guess was the season finale, the new DA is targeted for assassination.  Mostly background noise.
Star Trek: Discovery (Paramount+) "Labyrinths" - Discovery visits an archive of universal knowledge with the Breen hot on their tails. Meh!!!  Two observations.  First, I would have really liked to have seen the archive be armed to the teeth and easily able to knock the Breen around.  And second, what's with the Discovery sets all on fires as if the interior of the ship was made of kindling wood.  What exactly is burning on that ship and why?
X-Men 97 (Disney+) - "Tolerance Is Extinction" Part 3.  Season finale. If you watch the show, stick around for a post credit scene.
If (theatrical) New fantasy movie written and directed by John Krasinski.  Kransinki also plays the father of a 12-year girl who has to stay with her grandmother (Fiona Shaw who I instantly recognized from the Super Mario Bros. movie and somehow never noticed that before in all the years I watched her play Mrs. Dursley in the Harry Potter movies). The young girl soon discovers she has the ability to see the forgotten imaginary friends of other children and sets out to find them new homes.   I guess it was OK.  Elna Erlabyqf nyfb fgnef va gur zbivr nf ure hcfgnvef arvtuobe jub sbe ernfbaf gung ur arire rkcynvarq, pna nyfb frr gur vzntvanel sevraqf.  V pbhyqa'g  uryc ohg abgvpr sebz gur zbzrag ur jnf svefg ba fperra gung uvf punenpgre arire vagrenpgf jvgu nalbar bgure guna gur lbhat tvey.  Rira jura fur'f bhg va choyvp jvgu uvz, ab bar rire gnyxf gb uvz be npxabjyrqtrf uvf cerfrapr.  V whfg xrcg guvaxvat gb zlfrys V'ir jngpurq gur Fvkgu Frafr.  V xabj jurer guvf vf urnqrq...