TV power on problem

Sujet : TV power on problem
De : super70s (at) *nospam* super70s.invalid (super70s)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 19. May 2024, 06:16:33
I have this 28" diagonal TV I bought in 2021 during the height of the Covid pandemic (Jensen brand, licensed by some South Korean company called ASA Electronics) I use in my living room. Lately it's been acting stubborn about turning on. Although the blue "standby LED" light (could be red, green or white I guess on your TV) is on, the TV won't turn on. I have been able to get it to turn on like it should after I fiddle around with it for several minutes by unplugging it and holding down the power button on the TV to "reset" it. At first I thought the Roku device might be interfering with it somehow but I still had the same problem after I unhooked that. Then I tried unplugging the TV from the power strip and plugging it directly into the electrical outlet -- same problem.
I did some research on the web and people who know about TVs said this was characteristic of a TV with a "fading power supply." They even give instructions on how to replace a power supply but I don't want to fool with that. From what I understand a lot of today's flat screen TVs are "unrepairable" anyway without tearing them up when you open them up.
This is the TV I use the most by a longshot, a lot more than a 32" diagonal I have sitting on top of a small stereo cabinet in my bedroom and a 40" diagonal I have in my "man cave" room for watching DVDs and Blu-Rays. The 28" size is not easy to find -- seems to be popular with the RV crowd for their compact spaces -- but it's about 25" wide and the largest size that can fit comfortably in a 28" wide space which is how wide the space in my old entertainment center from the 1980s is (most 32" TVs seem to be about at least 28 1/2" or 29" wide which wouldn't fit good in that space).
This TV wasn't exactly cheap -- I think I paid about $260 for it -- and it's disappointing that the power supply would go bad after only 3 years. I found another 28" TV on eBay from an electronics dealer for only $84 (Continu.us brand which I hadn't heard of), it's "like new" and could have a "stuck pixel" problem but I guess I'll have to live with that (my 32" bedroom TV also has a stuck pixel or two and it isn't that noticeable). I'm just going to leave the current TV on all the time until the new one arrives hopefully on Friday, when I'm not using it leave it on a channel higher up the tier with a "Video Signal Is Blocked" crawl going across the top.
I still have an old 27" RCA CRT TV sitting unused in a spare bedroom that I used to use in the entertainment center, works as good as the day I bought it 1995. Oh for the good ole days.