Re: Oxford Music Professors: Sheet Music is White Supremacy

Sujet : Re: Oxford Music Professors: Sheet Music is White Supremacy
De : nobody (at) *nospam* nowhere.com (moviePig)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 20. May 2024, 22:42:27
On 5/20/2024 4:08 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <v2g6ot$4mgb$1@dont-email.me>, moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

On 5/20/2024 2:28 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <v2foco$1mk4$1@dont-email.me>, moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

On 5/19/2024 7:30 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
On 5/19/2024 4:28 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2024 23:22:51 -0400
moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

On 5/18/2024 8:08 PM, Rhino wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2024 19:15:05 -0400
moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

On 5/18/2024 4:37 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <v2b0i8$2u4t7$3@dont-email.me>,
moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

On 5/18/2024 1:48 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
In article <v2akce$2roir$1@dont-email.me>,
moviePig <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

On 5/18/2024 12:09 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
On May 17, 2024 at 6:43:52 PM PDT, "Rhino"
<no_offline_contact@example.com>
wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2024 00:42:52 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2024 13:09:59 -0700, BTR1701
<atropos@mac.com> wrote:
Yes, and because the current system isn't a dream for
sight-readers,
that means it's a racist form of white supremacy.

(Because only white people can sight read perfectly or
something.)

<rolls eyes>

I'm pretty sure there were and are a few black
musicians who have managed the feat and somehow a lot of
the concert pianists these days
are of Asian origin...

I wouldn't expect that to continue if I were you.

As I understand it, Asian musicians expressed concerns that
they weren't getting performance gigs as white musicians and
attributed this to race. To address that, all or most
auditions for orchestras started being done behind screens so
that the judges could only hear the performance but not see
the performer. But apparently Asians are now seen as white or
white allies and a certain group of people who I'll call
People of Darker Colour (PODC) are demanding that they simply
be given positions on orchestras without auditioning because
they have been discriminated against in the past. I assume
they're proposing some kind of quota system but I'm not sure
what percentage of the slots they're demanding.

Now, I don't know if this proposal is finding any support
among the people who decide these things but, given the way
things are going in general, I would be surprised if this was
NOT done. Competence is going out of the window to be
replaced by hiring on the basis of skin colour.

I'm sure the usual suspects will be along momentarily to deny
all of this and/or defend it.

Yes, during the height of the Saint Floyd of Fentanyl riots,
where literally everything in America was discovered to be
racist, there was an article in the New York Times that
asserted that the blind audition system used by most
professional orchestras and ensembles was racist because it
*prevents* racial bias in the hiring process.

The 'problem' is that when musicians play behind a screen and
the judges have no idea who the person is, what race they are,
what gender they are, etc., it takes away the judge's ability
to racially discriminate. This used to be considered a good
thing, but in today's woke world, the inability to racially
discriminate (i.e., give preference to blacks over whites) is
a major problem that needs fixing. Blind auditions tend to
result in orchestras being problematically white and Asian.
When pure talent and ability are the only factors available
upon which to base a decision, the resulting orchestras
aren't 'diverse' enough for the intelligentsia.

So now, rather than blind auditions, the wokesters want to
remove that screen so the judges see the players, can actively
discriminate against whites and Asians, and make hiring
decisions based on race and gender, rather than ability to
play the music.

Anyone who thinks a level playing field and the elimination of
racial discrimination is the goal of the modern
'progressive'... well, I have a few bridges to sell them.

And with all the hand-wringing over how they needed to get rid
of blind auditions so that they can 'fix' the problem of too
many white classical musicians, there strangely was no plan to
'fix' the problem of too many black basketball players (or any
recognition that it even is a problem in the first place).
Wonder why that is?

In so many words, you're complaining about 'affirmative action'
as though it were a moral absurdity. Does that sum up your
view?

I'm complaining about making an orchestra less than world class
so that you can pat yourself on the back for sticking it to
whitey.

Yes. Giving someone a seat on stage for any other reason than
that they can do the job is morally abhorrent. I'm not surprised
you cheerlead for it.

Of course Asians are historically oppressed minorities, too, and
they somehow manage to not only make it into these ensembles on
sheer talent and merit alone, but dominate them. Weird how
that's not seen as a 'diversity' success but a problem that
needs 'fixing'.

But the issue in question is 'affirmative action', i.e.:
procedural bias meant to hasten the homogenization of an
artificially bifurcate society.

But in the case of these orchestras, there's nothing artificial
about it. The auditions are blind and the chips fall where they
may with regard to race, gender, and all the other grievance
groups.

A mostly white or Asian orchestra is no more of an artificial
occurrence than is a mostly black basketball team. In both cases,
the best people for the job are the ones who are hired.

Again, why is a mostly black basketball team perfectly fine, but a
mostly Asian orchestra 'problematic'?

Both are historically oppressed minorities and both organizations
are what they are because they hired the best people for the job.
Why is one a 'diversity success' and the other a problem that
needs to be fixed?

Any general policy is subject to second-guessing in any given
instance.

Which says absolutely nothing as is typical for you when you fail to
defend the indefensible.

Let me help you out:  The 'general policy' is to promote blacks,
disproportionately if necessary, into visible prominence in order to
change societal biases ...and even though every disproportionate such
instance will, taken in isolation, feel "unjust".

And when will there be enough black musicians in orchestras?

Meanwhile, a pro basketball team is governed by money, not ideals.

Don't you think a pro basketball team would make MORE money if it
had more white players? A considerable portion of their fans and
viewers must be white and I would imagine more white players would
be appreciated by white fans and viewers who would like to see
themselves represented. If my reasoning is correct, the team owners
are walking away from extra income by not having more white players
- and more Asians as well, who might also be basketball fans.

Uh, no, not since Jackie Robinson.  Today, teams make money by
winning.

But orchestras must prioritize hiring on the basis of skin colour even
if it reduces the quality of the orchestra and therefore hurts ticket
sales, right?

Yes, competing priorities is a zero-sum game --  a mathematical fact.
And, anyone who sees no value to black faces in major orchestras won't
be pleased at that increased emphasis.

But no need to put white faces on the basketball court, amirite?

Yes, exactly "rite". Whites aren't presumed too dumb for basketball.

What the hell are you talking about? No one's presuming anyone dumb in
any of this.

The world of classical orchestra is considered intellectual, highbrow,
and generally beyond the grasp of the underprivileged.
 You're saying more about yourself than the rest of us.
I don't see that the rest of you should talk about me at all.