Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-26 (Sunday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-05-26 (Sunday)
De : dtravel (at) *nospam* sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 28. May 2024, 01:30:30
On 5/27/2024 9:51 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
On 5/27/2024 8:56 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (theatrical)
The story of Furiosa from Mad Mad: Fury Road before that movie.  Bombing hard at the theatres, I was the only one in the room when I watched it. I thought it was pretty good.  Felt different than the other Mad Max movies, more like a long story/saga than an episode in an ongoing adventure.  But I did have a refrigerator moment wondering how a barren, sterile wasteland could support so much cannon fodder....

 I think one thing to keep in mind is while it's been over 4 decades since the first Mad Max movie, within the movie's internal time frame not nearly that much time has passed since the bombs dropped.  Many of the people alive in these movies were full grown adults before the nuclear war.  These are the survivors.  Every Mad Max movie has depicted a world where the survivors have saved or rebuilt some level of functioning civilization.  In this one the Citadel, where Immorten Joe rules over, has plenty of food and fresh water.  He's feeding his people and supplying fresh food and water to the Bullet Farm and Gas Town. Then there are pockets like The Green Place or wherever the kids lived in Thunderdome where people have clean food and water and are otherwise left alone from the wasteland marauders.

Dogfights - Gun Kills of Vietnam (disc)
"The arrival of missile technology lead many to believe that a fighter's guns were useless relics, but air-to-air battles in the skies above Vietnam proved differently.  In some of the most nerve-wracking battles in recent history, pilots had to move in close and pull the trigger."

 I don't think I've ever see a movie that depicted air to air combat during Vietnam.  A couple of years ago "Devotion" came out which starred Jonathan Majors and Glen Powell as navy pilots during the Korean war.  I think that was the first time I ever saw a movie with air to air combat during that war.  I was surprised to see the Americans still flying WWII propeller planes while the enemies were flying around in jets.

The US prop planes were used for ground support/attack.  They didn't use anywhere near as much fuel as jets and therefore had long "loiter" times.  Allowing them to stick around covering shot down pilots while the helicopters were en route and provide artillery like support for ground forces engaged with the enemy.  Also the Skyraiders (originally designed as dive bombers) didn't enter service until after the end of WW2.
--
I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky dirty old man.