Re: Biden Worried About Equal Pay for Women

Sujet : Re: Biden Worried About Equal Pay for Women
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 29. May 2024, 23:42:23
On Wed, 29 May 2024 20:12:28 +0000
BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

Old Joe-- or at least whoever is actually writing the tweets under his
account-- has been extremely worried lately about equal pay for women
in sports, pointing out that Caitlin Clark, the #1 draftee in the
WNBA is only making $77,000/year while her #1 male NBA counterpart,
Victor Wembanyama, makes $12.1 million/year.

https://ibb.co/9Wy7jk2

While that conveniently ignores that Clark also signed a $28 million
endorsement deal with Nike, it's weird that Biden and all the other
folks who get het up over this sort of thing never have a problem
with it when it goes in reverse, like, for example, the top male and
female fashion models:

https://ibb.co/tZ3Xmmj

Equal pay for equal work?

You've reminded me of something that irked me several years back. When
feminism first started taking hold in corporate Canada, the initial
demand was for equal pay for equal work. On this basis, the women who
worked as switchboard operators demanded to be paid the same as the
linesmen who repaired broken wires. Observers quite reasonably scoffed
at the idea that sitting in an office (probably air-conditioned and
certainly heated) making telephone calls all day was "equal" to the
work the linesmen were doing working outdoors in all kinds of weather
conditions, often in blistering heat or miserable cold or drenching
rain.

Then the mantra became "equal pay for work of equal value": the
women simply declared that their work had equal value to what the men
were doing so they still deserved the same pay. I guess no one wanted
to dispute the value of the work so the mantra stayed unchanged from
that point on, as far as I know. I find it interesting that switchboard
operators have gone the way of the dodo but linesmen have not; their
jobs were not as easy to automate/computerize as what the switchboard
operators did.

--
Rhino