Re: Saskatchewan bus driver (Attn: Rhino)

Sujet : Re: Saskatchewan bus driver (Attn: Rhino)
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 30. May 2024, 23:13:30
On Thu, 30 May 2024 13:47:12 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-trucker-lawyer-lawsuit-1.7219543?cmp=rss

Hey Rhino - just in case you missed this one, this story is actually 2
stories both related to the T-boning of the team bus in Saskatchewan
where 15 (or is it 16?) people were killed. (1) is the civil suit
filed by the victims families against the truck driver and his company
and (2) the announcement that the driver is FINALLY after 8 years
being ordered deported back to India. (though to be sure one wonders
how they expect to collect damages if and when that actually happens)

He's a long way from being deported yet. He has a bunch of legal
avenues he can follow to stay in the country and it looks like he is
going to take them. (It beats me how he's getting the money for the
lawyers; I can't imagine he can pay them.)

I saw a story last week where he was ordered deported and they
interviewed his lawyer who said they didn't even bother fighting it
because the judge had no real choice but to order the deportation. But
he was hopeful that the OTHER avenues available to him would work out
and he would be allowed to stay. One that he mentioned was the guy's
child who was born either just before or just after he went to jail;
the kid is apparently quite sick and was born here so they are going to
argue for a compassionate decision from the minister letting him stay.

Incidentally the caption on the truck driver's photo is inaccurate. He
DIDN'T drive through "A" stop sign - he drove through THREE stop signs
before T-boning the team bus in what has to be one of the most fatal
motor vehicle crashes in Canadian history.

I hadn't heard that part. Every account I heard of the story talked
about one stop sign. I assume you mean stop signs at three separate
intersections. How do they know that? Surely they don't have cameras
mounted at every stop sign in Saskatchewan so I'm guessing someone that
was following him reported this.

(I would expect this to have been a news story EVERY Canadian and a
lot of Americans heard about at the time)

--
Rhino