Re: [OT] Trudeau devaluing citizenship even further

Sujet : Re: [OT] Trudeau devaluing citizenship even further
De : no_offline_contact (at) *nospam* example.com (Rhino)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 31. May 2024, 00:58:05
On Thu, 30 May 2024 10:58:02 -0700
The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

On Thu, 30 May 2024 10:35:39 -0400, Rhino
<no_offline_contact@example.com> wrote:

I assume you're being facetious and wouldn't actually support these
changes just for the dubious benefit to Gretzky's grandkids given the
rather more dramatic negative consequences of the legislation.

If you're suggesting I thought it was "the Gretzky bill" then no I
don't.

Do I think some underling might have mentioned it in passing during
liberations in the drafting of the bill? Wouldn't surprise me at all.

But for sure I'm sure you agree that even if Gretzky isn't the most
famous living Canadian he's in the top 2 or 3.

Never mind "old soldiers never die they just pass away..." - at least
as far as Canada is concerned you could say the same concerning hockey
players!

I actually put forth the idea when the government was searching for a
replacement for the chairmanship of that inquiry into foreign
interference in elections - after David Johnson self-destructed his
image - that they should pick someone known to all Canadians and
respected by all, specifically Wayne Gretzy. Of course this was a
comment here on Usenet or maybe on YouTube so it never got adopted but
I think people might have actually trusted the results of that inquiry
a lot more than whatever some Trudeau-picked judge had to say.

Having said that, I have no idea what Gretzky's politics are. He may be
a hard-left "progressive" like Trudeau and Singh and their respective
crews and be hopelessly biased in favour of the Liberals. But I agree
that he's certainly one of the very best known Canadians within Canada.
Mind you, I'm thinking of our generation. I don't know what the Gen Z
folks or millenials know of him; perhaps he is virtually unknown to
them since he hasn't played in so long now.

--
Rhino