Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-01 (Saturday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-01 (Saturday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 03. Jun 2024, 17:24:09
On 6/2/2024 6:52 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
On 6/2/2024 2:24 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
On 6/2/2024 9:28 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 6/2/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

I watched:

Blumhouse's Fantasy Island (Hulu) - In glorious 4k!

Hulu has it in 4K?!?  The movie was released on disc only on blu-ray.  :-/

OK, here’s the thing. The freestanding Hulu app has it, but doesn’t list 4K
or any choice of resolution on the iPhone, which should support 4K.

The Disney+ app doesn’t list it at all!

    I think I liked this 2020 flick quite a bit more than Anim did.
Yeah, the ending was a little too all over the place, and "too cute".
And this was unfortunately "PG-13 horror" when I was expecting(/hoping
for) "hard R horror" out of this,

Well...if you watched it on disc you could have watched the unrated
version.  :-)

Here is a comparison of theatrical vs unrated cut:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=246728

Thanks for the link. That’s the stupidest and most petty batch of
censorship I’ve ever seen.

Listen to some movie commentary tracks.  The pettiness of the MPA knows
no bounds!

Blacklight (Hulu) - Also in glorious 4k!
    Honestly, it kind of blows me away that even relatively "low-budget"
flicks like this one (though, I guess USD$43 mil isn't exactly
"low-budget"...) are now getting 4k presentations on the streamers.
    Anyway, this was just OK - it's kind of like "The Parallax View" but

Am I the only one that can’t tell Liam Neeson movies apart? I have no idea
if I’ve seen this or not.

However, one of my streamers has been pushing me to watch the parallax
view!

I watched:

Doctor Who (Disney+) - "Dot and Bubble" - The Doctor and Ruby land on a
planet with a small colony of spoiled rich kids who are so self-absorbed
they can't be bothered to leave their social bubble, both literally and
figuratively.  Their refusal to see the world as it really is will lead
to their deaths unless they listen to the Doctor.  Unfortunately for
them the Doctor isn't in their social bubble.

Here’s the thing. The point where they decided not to believe the doctor
was when he said the tardis had technology that let it be bigger on the
inside.

No.  That was not the point.  It wouldn't have mattered.  The episode
was an allegory on racism.
 I agree completely with you that that was their intention. But I disagree
that they stuck the landing.
  There were lots of subtle and not so subtle
indications of this throughout the episode.  But it was easy not to
notice if you didn't realize what was happening.  Here are some of the
clues going from memory in no particular order:

Everyone on the planet was White.  When the Doctor (or Ruby) made a
comment about the planet being for young people they said it was more
exclusive than that.  When the Doctor first appeared they immediately
blocked him.  They did not block Ruby.
 I’m not going to go back and look, but I distinctly remember that when the
doctor first appeared in the bubble, there was a huge flashing warning I
think in red that he was uninvited or something. It was like getting “Scam
Likely“ on your cell phone, I don’t recall. (although I could be wrong) Any
such warning on Ruby.

It said unsolicited call.

It was like the computers were racist, but not necessarily the people.
 I also completely did not understand why everybody thought the mother
looked familiar.

Wow, that went right over your head.  To be fair it went right over my head too.  LOL.  But watch it again and it will make perfect sense *why* they recognized her.  "We'll save that for later."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwNpsGIlFQM