Re: TV news for June 2-7, 2024

Sujet : Re: TV news for June 2-7, 2024
De : ijball (at) *nospam* mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 08. Jun 2024, 20:05:20
On 6/8/24 8:47 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

     ABC news
  Rob Thomas Exits As Showrunner For Kaitlin Olson’s ‘High Potential’ ABC Series  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/kaitlin-olson-high-potential-rob-thomas-showrunner-exit-1235959732/
OK, that's a bad sign. Probably a really bad sign...

     CBS news
  ‘Watson’: Eve Harlow & ‘So Help Me Todd’s Inga Schlingmann Join CBS Drama Series  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/eve-harlow-inga-schlingmann-watson-so-help-me-todd-1235960800/
Lemme guess - this will be filmed in Vancouver?...

     CW news
  ‘All American: Homecoming’ Canceled; EP Nkechi Okoro Carroll “Devastated” That Show Will End With Season 3 On CW  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/all-american-homecoming-cancelled-season-3-final-1235959307/
 ["'All American' is the only surviving scripted series from the pre-Nexstar CW"]
Is anyone surprised?!
In fact, I'm surprised they renewed "All American" even - I can't figure out why they did that...

     Cable channel news
  ‘The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon ­ The Book Of Carol’ Gets AMC Premiere Date; See The First Photos  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/the-walking-dead-daryl-dixon-the-book-of-carol-premiere-date-photos-trailer-1235960770/
[roll]
(These titles are so terrible!!)

Jennifer Love Hewitt Returns To Lifetime For Tentpole Holiday Movie; Brian Hallisay Co-Stars  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/jennifer-love-hewitt-the-holiday-junkie-lifetime-brian-hallisay-1235960768/
Meh.
(I'm more interested in the Teri Hatcher Lifetime flick that Deadline linked to from this article...)

‘The Last Of Us’ Season 2 Episode Count Revealed As Craig Mazin & Neil Druckmann Explain Decision & Tease Additional Seasons [HBO]  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/the-last-of-us-season-2-episode-count-season-4-roadmap-1235945923/
OK, I'm just going to say it - 7 episodes isn't a "season". I don't care what anybody says.

‘Snowpiercer’ Teaser Trailer: First Look At 4th & Final Season Of AMC Series ­ Update  (June 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/snowpiercer-season-4-premiere-date-amc-photos-trailer-1235906431/
Looking forward to it!!
(Though, it puts me in a quandary - I don't have AMC+. So do I watch the episodes weekly? Or record all of season #4 on my DVR, and then binge-watch it?!... I'm leaning towards the latter.)

     Streaming service news--Apple TV+
  Marion Cotillard Joins Apple’s ‘The Morning Show’ For Season 4  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/marion-cotillard-cast-the-morning-show-season-4-1235959841/
WTH?!!

     Streaming service news--Netflix
  ‘Baby Reindeer’s Real-Life Martha Pursues Netflix With $170M Defamation & Negligence Suit  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/baby-reindeer-lawsuit-netflix-real-life-martha-1235961104/
Psycho bitch.

‘Wallace & Gromit’ Netflix Movie Gets Title, Unveils Voiceover Cast (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/wallace-gromit-vengeance-most-fowl-netflix-movie-images-1235961122/
Boo!! This is to good for Netflix!!

‘Emily in Paris’ Season 4: Everything We Know So Far  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/feature/emily-in-paris-season-4-release-date-plot-1235944241/
[sigh...]

Patrick J. Adams, Alyvia Alyn Lind & Patrick Gallagher Among Five Cast In ‘Wayward’ Netflix Limited Series  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/patrick-j-adams-alyvia-alyn-lind-patrick-gallagher-wayward-netflix-1235958929/
  Sarah Gadon Joins ‘Wayward’ Netflix Limited Series  (June 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/sarah-gadon-cast-wayward-netflix-1235958056/
 ['Wayward' (fka 'Tall Pines'), one of the first commissions for Netflix Canada, "is a thriller set in a bucolic but sinister town that explores the insidious underbelly of the “troubled teen industry” and the eternal struggle between one generation and the next"]
Good cast. But...

‘Suits’ Season 9 Gets Netflix Premiere Date  (June 2)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/suits-season-9-netflix-premiere-date-1235957335/
I love how the idiots didn't even start with having the full series!!

     Streaming service news--Paramount+
  ‘Frasier’ Adds Greer Grammer As *Spoiler’s* Daughter In Season 2  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/frasier-greer-grammer-cast-season-2-1235958022/
This is an example of bad stunt-casting...

     Streaming service news--Peacock
  ‘Succession’ Star Sarah Snook To Lead & EP New Peacock Thriller Series ‘All Her Fault’  (June 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/sarah-snook-cast-peacock-thriller-series-all-her-fault-1235957998/
 ["'All Her Fault' opens on a plausibly terrifying situation that eventually unearths the deep secrets of a community. Marissa Irvine arrives at 14 Arthur Avenue, expecting to pick up her young son Milo from his first playdate with a boy at his new school. But the woman who answers the door isn’t a mother she recognizes. She isn’t the nanny. She doesn’t have Milo. And so begins every parent’s worst nightmare."]
Meh - I would have watched this as a film...

Dev Patel’s ‘Monkey Man’ Sets Peacock Premiere Date  (June 3)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/monkey-man-sets-streaming-premiere-date-peacock-1235957623/
Cool. I will check this out.

     Streaming service news--Prime Video
  Dorian Missick & Karla Souza Join Prime Video Thriller Series ‘Obsession’  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/dorian-missick-karla-souza-obession-prime-video-1235961995/
 ["Written and executive produced by Lisa Zwerling and Karyn Usher, the show is based on Catherine Ryan Howard’s 2021 international bestseller '56 Days.' The story follows Oliver (Avan Jogia) and Ciara (Dove Cameron), who, after meeting randomly in a supermarket, fall for each other fast, and dangerously hard. 56 days later, homicide investigators arrive at Oliver’s apartment to find an unidentified body — brutally murdered and intentionally decomposed. Did he kill her? Did she kill him? Intercutting between an intense single day in the present investigation and the twisted trajectory of the young lovers’ affair in the past, the series is both a crime story and an erotic, psychological thriller. "]
I may watch this, because I like Jogia, and because Dove Cameron makes a very believable psychokiller femme fatale!

Kristen Stewart To Play Astronaut Sally Ride As Amazon MGM Studios Nears Limited Series Deal For ‘The Challenger’  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/kristen-stewart-plays-astronaut-sally-ride-amazon-limited-series-the-challenger-amblin-kyra-sedgwick-big-swing-challenger-space-shuttle-explosion-1235962098/
:/

Inside ‘Maxton Hall’: Amazon Unpacks How The German-Language Romantic Drama Went Global And Teases Season Two Details — Seriencamp  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/maxton-hall-amazon-prime-video-ruby-bell-james-beaufort-global-success-season-two-seriencamp-1235961951/
I am toying with the idea of actually watching this this summer... [shrug]

Jessica Camacho Joins Jensen Ackles In ‘Countdown’ Amazon Series  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/jessica-camacho-countdown-amazon-1235961933/
 ["'Countdown,' which has a 13-episode order, starts following a suspicious murder in broad daylight, which leads to LAPD officer Mark Meachum (Ackles) being recruited to join a secret task force of undercover agents from all branches of law enforcement to investigate. But as the truth of a more sinister plot comes into focus, the team must overcome their conflicting personal agendas to unite and save a city of millions."]
  Jensen Ackles To Headline ‘Countdown’ Drama Series Ordered By Amazon  From Derek Haas  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/jensen-ackles-countdown-amazon-derek-haas-1235960304/
 ["Countdown starts following a suspicious murder in broad daylight, which leads to LAPD officer Mark Meachum (Ackles) being recruited to join a secret task force of undercover agents from all branches of law enforcement to investigate. But as the truth of a more sinister plot comes into focus, the team must overcome their conflicting personal agendas to unite and save a city of millions." The series "has received a rare for a streaming series 13-episode order."]
This sounds like a "24"-ripoff, but I liked "24" and like the cast of this one. And Prime is the home of "Dad TV", so...

Hamish Linklater Joins ‘Gen V’ For Season 2  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/hamish-linklater-cast-gen-v-season-2-1235959039/
Interesting.

     Syndicated series news
  Vanna White Bids A Tearful Farewell To Pat Sajak Ahead Of His Final ‘Wheel Of Fortune’ Episode — Watch The Video  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/vanna-white-pat-sajak-tribute-final-wheel-of-fortune-episode-video-1235960903/
:(

     Series in development
  ‘White Collar’ Reboot Is A Go, Says Creator Jeff Eastin  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/white-collar-reboot-is-happening-says-creator-jeff-eastin-1235961511/
 ["Series creator Jeff Eastin confirmed Thursday in Los Angeles that an updated version of the police procedural is finally in development. 'We’re gonna reboot. I’m writing the script,' Eastin said, as quoted by Variety. He appeared at the trade’s TV festival with stars Matt Bomer, Tim DeKay and Tiffany Thiessen — all of whom are expected to return."]
Did I beat Robin on this?!!  :D

Paul Giamatti To Star In ‘Hostel’ TV Series From Eli Roth  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/paul-giamatti-hostel-tv-series-eli-roth-1235958898/
This is either odd, or inspired! casting!!

     Ratings
  ‘The Acolyte’ Blasts Onto Disney+ With 4.8M Views In First Day Of Streaming  (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/the-acolyte-premiere-viewership-disney-plus-1235961414/
Nothing I am hearing about this makes me want to watch it - even Carrie Anne Moss isn't enough...

     The business of TV
  As NBA Remains A Jump Ball, Warner Bros. Discovery Grabs French Open Tennis Rights In U.S.  (June 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/nba-warner-bros-discovery-french-open-tennis-rights-us-max-1235962476/
Oh, that's terrible news.

Commissioning By Streamers In Australia Hits “Bleak” Low, According To Industry Survey  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/screen-producers-australia-streamers-commissioning-bleak-low-netflix-prime-video-1235959398/
Duh.

Lionsgate’s MovieSphere Becomes First Major FAST Channel To Be Measured By Nielsen  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/lionsgate-moviesphere-fast-nielsen-measurement-1235958546/
Never even heard of it...

Warner Bros. Discovery UK Boss Says Streaming Has Moved On From “Subscriber Growth At Any Cost” But “Churn” Remains A Problem  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/warner-bros-discovery-uk-andrew-georgiou-streaming-business-media-telecoms-beyond-conference-1235958392/
Their solution will be yearly (or more) contracts, no doubt.

Max Hikes Prices For Ad-Free Plans Effective Immediately  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/max-price-hike-ad-free-plans-1235958497/
 ["Warner Bros. Discovery has upped the price of the ad-free plan by $1 per month, bringing the new price to $16.99. The yearly ad-free plan will increase by $20 to $169.99. The monthly “ultimate” ad-free plan also will increase by $1 per month to $20.99, and the yearly “ultimate” ad-free plan is up by $10 to $209.99. The Max with ads plan remains unchanged at $9.99 a month or $99.99 a year."]
F*ckers!!  [finger]
Though I am not sure how this affects me, as a cable subscriber.

     Obituaries
  Jeannette Charles Dies: Queen Elizabeth II Lookalike In ‘The Naked Gun’, ‘European Vacation’ & Austin Powers Sequel ‘Goldmember’ Was 96  (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/jeannette-charles-dead-queen-lookalike-1235959871/
OK, I remember "The Naked Gun" bit...

Erich Anderson Dies: ‘Felicity’, ‘Thirtysomething’ Actor Was 67  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/erich-anderson-dead-1235958485/
Bummer - he was low-key, but I liked him.
And 67 is too young.

     Other News
  2024 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming  (June 7)
 https://deadline.com/feature/2024-tv-premiere-dates-1235365501/
More lists from Robin!!  ;p

Daytime Emmys: ‘General Hospital’ Wins For Outstanding Drama; ‘The Kelly Clarkson’ Show Wins For Fourth Consecutive Year  (June 7)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/daytime-emmy-awards-2024-winners-list-1235962468/
Meh.
We're down to 4 soaps - can you really crown a "best" with so few.

Pat Sajak Is Done With ‘Wheel Of Fortune’ ­ But Already Has A New Gig (June 6)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/pat-sajak-wheel-of-fortune-new-stage-gig-1235961373/
 ["Sajak now plans to join friend and KHON-TV Hawaii newscaster Joe Moore for a stage production of 'Prescription: Murder' that begins at the end of next month. The show is adapted from the pilot episode of TV’s 'Columbo,' originally written by William Link and Richard Levinson. Rob Duval directs."]
Excellent.

Evangeline Lilly Stepping Away From Acting: “I Am Ready And I Am Happy” (June 5)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/evangeline-lilly-stepping-away-acting-hollywood-1235959278/
Hmmmm...

Christina Applegate Says She’s “Trapped In The Darkness” Of Depression After MS Diagnosis: “I Don’t Enjoy Living”  (June 4)
 https://deadline.com/2024/06/christina-applegate-trapped-darkness-depression-ms-diagnosis-1235959235/
Yeah, that would definitely suck all right.