Re: [OT] College closures averaging one per week

Sujet : Re: [OT] College closures averaging one per week
De : Nyssa (at) *nospam* LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Suivi-à : rec.arts.tv
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 15:12:32
Rhino wrote:

According to a recent Brett Cooper video (two days old as
I write this), an average of one American college PER WEEK
is closing down permanently or amalgamating with another
college. Are the kids finally beginning to figure out that
college is not good value for the amount of debt they will
incur?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVm6yy3LGq0

I can't watch video over my slow connection, but are
some of these college closures proprietary schools,
sometimes called business or technical schools?

Many of the proprietary schools are owned by corporations
who have bought up previously local, privately owned
business, technical, or two-year junior colleges. Not
all are certified or are certified by very narrowly
defined "associations."

Having worked for three of these schools decades ago,
the quality can vary widely, especially in the corporately
owned ones. (One school I taught at part time was owned
by a corporation that also published the books used in
the school's classes.)

The fees for these schools was usually high compared to
the value of the courses and usually paid by loans or
grants to students or the GI Bill for veterans (with
staff of the school doing the paperwork for the claims).

I'd not be surprised to here that many of these sorts
of "colleges" are closing down or being bought up by
corporations who see them as an investment as the
tuitions at real, traditional colleges grows ever higher
and people look for lower (they think) alternatives to
getting some sort of training.

Nyssa, who actually had to sue one of these proprietary
schools in small claims court to get paid