Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-08 (Saturday)

Sujet : Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-08 (Saturday)
De : arthur (at) *nospam* alum.calberkeley.org (Arthur Lipscomb)
Groupes : rec.arts.tv
Date : 09. Jun 2024, 22:47:31
On 6/9/2024 10:48 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
On 6/9/24 8:09 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

What Did You Watch?
 Yesterday, lots of stuff:
 The Vigilante (Tubi) - This 2023 flick was an odd one - it couldn't decide if it was a "message film" like a Lifetime flick or if it was a low-budget actioner, and as a result it kind of didn't succeed at either - it wasn't "action-y" enough IMO, but it was also way too violent to be a Lifetime flick.
    German-American actress Jet Jandreau stars as a marine, initially stationed in Afghanistan. (Stuff happens in the opening that is unnecessary, except to establish that she has PTSD from the incident.)
    While there, her younger sister Aimee (Jamie Timmons, who obviously is a dancer) gets pinched by human traffickers who want a "dancer" type. (I had problems with this, as the traffickers didn't pinch her even cuter friend who was driving - why wouldn't you take 2 for the price of one?!)
    Of course, the Marine immediately comes home, and meets up with a fellow retired Marine (Eric Pierce), who of course is conveniently some kind of computer genius-type (as well as being handy with weapons on ops!). They soon start investigating, and raiding human trafficking "warehouses" (usually in residential neighborhoods) on their own to try to find the sister.
    This wasn't deep, and it was too "message-y" for what it was offering. But the fight scenes were actually well filmed (did they get the "Arrow" stunt crew on this?!) and seemed realistic (if perhaps choreographed a tad slower than they should have been...).
    I'm still wondering how the lead heroine went to jail at the end of this, but her ex-marine partner apparently didn't!?!

Sounds like it's worth checking out.  But why Tubi?

golf - I caught enough of Day 3 of the Memorial to see that Scottie Scheffler was well ahead in another tourney this year, and lost interest.
 Blockers (Peacock) - In glorious 4k!!
    Wait! What?!! Why the heck are they showing this in 4k?!! (Maybe NBC Universal is trying to upgrade their film library?!...)
    I had never managed to get to this raunchy 2018 comedy before.
    It stars Jon Cena (who always seems up for mayhem!), along with Leslie Mann (amazing she is still around) and Ike Barinholtz (who funnily enough I've never really run across much before as I didn't watch "The Mindy Show") play over protective parents to three teen girls (Geraldine Viswanathan, Kathryn Newton and Gideon Adlon, respectively).
    Inappropriate wackiness ensues when the three parents (actually, at first it's just Cena and Mann, with Barinholtz trying to stop them) vow to stop their daughters from losing their virginity on prom night.
    This was amusing enough, though I'm not necessarily a fan of raunchy comedy - I did like the bits with Gary Cole and Gina Gershon as fellow hot-to-trot parents.
 Maxton Hall (actual title: "Maxton Hall - Die Welt zwischen uns") (Prime) - Ep. #1.1 In the original German! (And in HDR!)
    I am very confused by this - this is a German series, filmed in German (stupid Prime made me go in to manually change the audio track to its native German, but I put English subtitles on), but set in England very clearly - IOW, this isn't German students at an English boarding school! It's supposed to be *English students*, in England! who for some reason are talking in German!!
    (And it's even weirder - the YA novel this series is based on is written by a German author, but I guess she set the book in England?!?)
    Anyway, this YA series shares the same problem that plenty of Hallmark romance flicks do - while the lead girl, Ruby (Harriet Herbig-Matten) is plucky and generally likeable (though Herbig-Matten is one of those young women who is so skinny that she has almost nonexistent calves!), the "handsome rich boy" (Damian Hardung) is so thoroughly unlikable and contemptible that I am have a lot of trouble understanding why should be rooting for these two to get together, potential hott sexx!1! be damned!
    Anyway, for "reasons", these two immediately get to hating each other, once "handsome rich boy" is forced to notice the under-the-radar bookish "smart (but poorer!) girl". By the end of the first episode, for more "reasons", they are forced to work together by the school's headmaster. (See where this is going?!)
    This series is only 6 episodes (though it has already been renewed for season #2), so I will probably make my way through this...
    Sidenote: The best looking person in this cast is "handsome rich boy's" beautiful redheaded, but scandalous! sister (she's having an affair with a teacher), played by Sonja Weißer - import her to America, STAT!!  ;p
 The Girl Locked Upstairs: The Tanya Kach Story (Lifetime) - This was about as I expected - depressing through and through (though, at the same time, underdeveloped).
    Jordyn Ashley Olson (likely best known from 2018's "Dragged Across Concrete") plays Tanya Kach, a 14-year-old high school freshman living in a foster home (we never get the reasons for why her mother is legally prevented from seeing her daughter), who is picked on by everyone in the high school. Her only friend is the school's security guard (Robert Baker), who of course is a creepy predator.
    Soon enough, the security guard convinces the girl to run away from the foster home, once rejected (again) by her mother (though, again, it's for "legal reasons") and come live with him. Obviously, school is out of the question at this point too. The issue is that the dude lives with his elderly parents, and so keeps Tanya locked in his upstairs bedroom.
    Where she is basically held captive for years and years. Eventually, once she's past 18, the guard starts letting her outside on short errands, where she eventually gets enough courage to turn on the bastard. At the end, we get a flashforward 12 years, but all of the details of the intervening years are left out. IOW, this film really didn't cover some of the important details enough.
 Clickbait: Unfollowed (Tubi) - Written and directed by Katherine Barrell and Melanie Scrofano!! (who also appear!).
    Filmed in Cape Town!! (Wait! - Why wasn't this filmed in Can-a-der?!!) It also seems like the "talent" in this one is South African as well.
And that's why it was filmed in South Africa.  ;-)

    Tubi categorizes this one, released just on Friday, as "horror", but it's more accurately "dark comedy horror".
    Six "influencers" - it's actually 7, as one influencer "team" is a 10-year-old boy and his predatory mother (Jessica Stanley) - are invited to a mansion for a competition to improve their social media presence.
    But, as you might expect, this competition is deadly for the losers! (Once place the film falls down is with special effects - the first death is especially poorly EFX'ed...)
    Will anyone get out alive?! Are any of these influencers worth saving?!! And who is doing all of this?!!!
    This was amusing in parts. But there are some plot holes - I never really got/bought the villains' motivations for doing all of this. And were their Squid Game-esque henchmen supposed to be real people, or robots?!
    Also, you never actually see Barrell's face in this movie, as she's wearing a hideous mask (it's supposed to be cosmetic surgery... well, sort of!).
    Bottom line: This was OK, maybe made slightly more enjoyable for knowing that Barrell and Scrofano wrote and directed it.

But it's on Tubi!  I have enough trouble remembering to watch shows on streaming channels I actually like.  They might as well put it on USA or TBS.